STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, June 19, 2017

Log Cabin Runner

It's been a while since I've shown you any quilting projects. Here is a small "finish" that was completed recently. It measures 14.5"x 22.5"  so I don't know if you'd actually call it a runner... a small runner, I guess. It was quick and easy with only six blocks and one border.
I've always loved Log Cabin and I saw this on Pinterest somewhere a while back; of course I didn't pin it, and promptly forgot about it. Then I saw it again on Joanne's blog Thread Head. This time I took note! She actually did a tutorial for it, so if you'd like to make something similar you can find the tutorial here. I "did my own thing"  construction-wise, but ended up with pretty much the same end result. My blocks are the same size, 5" finished, with a 1" centre and 1/2" logs. The blocks are done totally from scraps and leftovers. I'm not much on appliqué, but decided to follow Joanne's suggestion of the appliqué flowers and leaves on the ends. I'm not totally happy with them, wish I hadn't spaced them quite so far apart, but they're on there now and I'm not taking them off to re-do! I tried adding some embroidery to the flower centres, but didn't like it. Then I tried beads, didn't care for that either. So for now they're staying the way they are. Who knows what I might come up with later, once I've pondered it a while.  :)  I do think I might embroider some veins on the leaves at least...


I had recently purchased Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Circles and that's what I used to make the flowers. (This is a set of heat resistant plastic circle templates in fifteen different sizes from 7/16" to 2".) They worked well and with a shot of Best Press and a good pressing, I had perfectly smooth circles to appliqué in place. If you do a lot of appliqué circles, by hand OR machine, I would certainly recommend these!




After ditching around the perimeter of the blocks, I quilted it in straight diagonal lines spaced about 1/2" apart, using black thread on the dark areas and cream thread on the light areas.
I'm working on another small project now, also with Log Cabin blocks, in reds and white...  I hope to finish it before July 1st. Can you guess what it's for?

Piece!
Linda

Fabrics are a lot like chocolates. It's hard to pick just one.

4 comments:

kath001 said...

That is great! And I'm so happy to see you mention the Perfect Circles! I have them on my Amazon wish list (that's where I keep track of items I'm thinking about buying, whether I'm planning to buy them there or not).

Jennifer said...

I love your little project! No, I couldn't begin to guess what a red and white project could be for......*grin*......

Karen said...

This is a sweet project (my Gram always used the term "stand cover" for such an item.) Looking forward to seeing your red and white version!

Vee said...

That is a piece representing a lot of accomplished sewing from fabric to thread. Not capable of it, but I sure appreciate your work. I have not done much with appliqué, though I'd like to try it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...