STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Quilts for the Twins

It's a bright sunny (but cold) day here, much welcomed after yesterday's storm which gave us 38 cm. of fresh new snow. For those of you not familiar with the metric system, that's 15 inches. It's pretty today but yesterday was another story. All schools in the entire province were closed along with the universities and community colleges. Government, banks and malls were closed down by late morning,  city buses were taken off their routes and the RCMP were advising drivers to stay off the highway from Moncton to above Fredericton, so I took that as a sign to stay inside for the day, cozy and warm. Thank goodness there were no power outages. Winter has arrived, for sure!

I'm ignoring the white scene outside my window and taking you back to late summer to meet two little babes. My niece Alyson had fraternal twin girls in August. I promised her two baby quilts, telling her she could choose the colours; she decided on pink and soft grey, a favourite combo of mine. I gathered a number of pieces in each colour, and was happy to find a print with music on it since Alyson teaches music in the school system, to blend in with the greys.
I used two different patterns but the same fabrics in each quilt. Both were quick and easy designs - Disappearing Nine Patch and I'm not sure if the other even has a name - Cobblestones perhaps? I just think of it as "bordered squares."









Both were machine quilted with the walking foot- straight line designs- like I said, quick and easy! I loved the fabric I found for backing (same on each quilt) - little bunnies peeking out from behind the stripe! TOO CUTE!! And the stripe had just a touch of the yellow-green that was in one of the prints on the front too.. how perfect!

My photos are not great, but give you an idea of what they looked like, at least.





And here are the twins - For some reason the photographer has removed the other newborn images of their session from her website so I cannot show you more than this one.. but aren't they sweet? I think they were just over two weeks old at this point. What a darling shot! Don't they just look like the best of friends? Let's hope they're still this close when they are 15! Ha! That's Josephine on the left and Ada on the right.





I couldn't seem to manage a decent shot the day they received the quilts. Josephine didn't want to wake up and Ada wouldn't look at me...

Oh my... looking back at these photos, I can see I'm well past due for another visit...







Peace,
Linda

Two little blessings sent from above,
Twice the smiles, twice the love.

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Two little cuties, for sure! I bet they will enjoy their quilts.

Vee said...

Oh they are darling and the quilts are cute!

kath001 said...

Precious baby girls. :) Love the pink and gray combination.

Jeanna said...

I love the fabrics you selected for those sweet quilts. The twins are just too adorable. Hope you get to visit them again soon.

Stay warm.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OMGosh!! They are so cute and just imagine how much they have grown since you saw them!! The quilts are so pretty. The disappearing 9 is one of my very favorite quilt patterns.
xx, Carol

Karen said...

Awww...such sweet babies. Alyson has her hands full, for sure; how lucky she is to have a talented aunt. Beautiful quilts, Linda!

Dasha said...

What a sweet pair of little bubs. They are so cute holding hands in the first photo, but turned away from one another in the second. What did she do to deserve that? LOL The quilt turned out really well, and look so pretty.

Sheila said...

Adorable quilts for adorable babies , they are gorgeous !

Pamela Gordon said...

How precious are those little girlies! I bet they've grown a lot already. And the quilts are so beautiful. I love the colours and patterns you chose. I'm sure they will love them as they grow up. Enjoy the weekend. I hope we don't get too much snow!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...