STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Attention Google Friend Connect Followers

If you follow me with Google Friend Connect, and do not have a google account, apparently after tomorrow you might not see my blog on your list.... Blogger is making some changes.. don't ask me why.. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" I say... (Blogger are you listening???)
I hope I don't lose too many followers with this silly change. I have noticed I have already lost a few over the last few weeks... I wasn't too concerned, but after seeing this notice on several other blogs this weekend, I thought I should post some thing too... Here's what Blogger is saying:

In 2011, we announced the retirement of Google Friend Connect for all non-Blogger sites. We made an exception for Blogger to give readers an easy way to follow blogs using a variety of accounts. Yet over time, we’ve seen that most people sign into Friend Connect with a Google Account. So, in an effort to streamline, in the next few weeks we’ll be making some changes that will eventually require readers to have a Google Account to sign into Friend Connect and follow blogs. 


As part of this plan, starting the week of January 11, we’ll remove the ability for people with Twitter, Yahoo, Orkut or other OpenId providers to sign in to Google Friend Connect and follow blogs. At the same time, we’ll remove non-Google Account profiles so you may see a decrease in your blog follower count.

We encourage you to tell affected readers (perhaps via a blog post), that if they use a non-Google Account to follow your blog, they need to sign up for a Google Account, and re-follow your blog. With a Google Account, they’ll get blogs added to their Reading List, making it easier for them to see the latest posts and activity of the blogs they follow.

We know how important followers are to all bloggers, but we believe this change will improve the experience for both you and your readers.


 So, if you don't have a google account, better get yourself one!!   :)  Thanks! Hope we'll continue to see each other here in Blogland...

Peace,
Linda

If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies....

7 comments:

Dolores said...

I wondered why four followers had gone - seemingly overnight, just before Christmas.

Jeanna said...

Ugh! Why can't they just leave well enough alone?!? Blogger doesn't make it fun at all.

Happy 2016!

Pamela Gordon said...

Ah yes, I've been reading this same post shared by other bloggers. I don't notice any missing yet and hope they find a way to find me again if they do go missing. I don't like change. It's discouraging and makes me feel like I should retire from blogging. We'll see.

HollyM said...

Happy new year , Linda! I hadn't noticed this info anywhere. Luckily I do have a google account. I must remember to mention it on my blog.

Anonymous said...

I do ALL my following via email. It works best. And most blogs can add that to their site.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Sometimes I don't understand why people are so resistant to change. I think I have a different view of Google than most. I'm pretty sure you read my post about this change, so I won't duplicate what was said there. BUT, Google is a business and of course they will make changes necessary to improve THEIR agenda. I'm just grateful that they still supply the blogs at no charge. I think most readers that have been lost through the Google change have found a different favorite list to view blogs with. The bad thing is, the blog poster usually doesn't know.
xx, Carol

Ellie Knol said...

HAve you got a solution for your GFC gadget... mine is gone too..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...