STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Workshop Fun!



Yesterday's workshop was great, I really enjoyed it. It's been too long since I participated in a Guild workshop. Such fun to be a student instead of the teacher...

We were all making the same table topper, but because everyone was using different fabrics and colour combinations, they all looked different of course. That's one of the things I enjoy most about workshops, the variety of "results."

The pattern for this topper, called Crazy Eights Strip Teaser is by "The 3/4 Crazies" of Lake Havasu, AZ. You can find the pattern here at www.sewwhat-quilting.com The prep work before the class (cutting strips and sewing up the strip sets or "strata") took longer than it did to put the whole thing together! Don't get me wrong- the prep work was SO worth it! Everyone was glad they came with their "homework" done, and ready to proceed.

My greens look a bit washed out here,
the colour in the photo above is more true.




The topper could be done in two sizes- the larger one is about 44" across and uses 8 different fabrics, (the pattern gives instructions for this larger size only, our workshop leader worked out the smaller version) and the smaller one, which I did, is about 33" across, using 6 different fabrics. It was not difficult as long as you were careful with accurate seams, and very careful cutting.
I had second thoughts about a couple of my fabrics when I was putting the strata together, but was happy with it once it all went together. It is however, very green! (I guess I'm really anxious for spring, consciously and subconsciously...lol) If I was doing another, which I no doubt will, I'd like to find that perfect "bridge" fabric which so successfully ties two colours together. I really liked the ones which had more than one colour.
Here are some photos from the workshop... many are finished tops. These all of course still have to be layered with batting and backing, and quilted. I'll share a photo of mine once it's all quilted and bound. However, it may very well get set aside for a few weeks. Our Guild has a Show coming up in April and I have things which must be done for it first.

Teacher's sample piece
Teacher's samples showing segments and how they go together






Piece!
Linda

A clean house is a sign of a broken sewing machine....

10 comments:

sunny said...

Very nice! I love your greens.

Dasha said...

They are all gorgeous, but I far and away prefer your colours (don't tell the others I said that LOL). I love the movement the layout and choice of colour gives the topper.

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

Beautiful work. I found my way here from Wired Nan who posted about the iPad case.

Pamela Gordon said...

These are all beautiful LInda. They remind me of pinwheels, a fun spring toy that often came in our Easter baskets. :)

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Oh, they are so very beautiful, but look scaringly difficult to make!
Thank you for sharing! Have a great week ahead!

Lorraine said...

What a great pattern and lovely to see the different colour combinations in the workshop :)

Vee said...

Your greens are very nice! This is such an intriguing pattern. It must be for an expert sewer!

eileeninmd said...

Wow, they are all pretty colors and I love the pattern...You are talented.. Have a happy week!

Karen said...

Love seeing all the different colourways, and all gorgeous!

MissesStitches said...

Beautiful! All of them. I've seen this pattern before and love it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...