STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, March 2, 2015

Missing my Vitamin G

We've turned the calendar to March, and we're still looking at lots of snow, lots of winter... it snowed again overnight. I'm really longing for some "green", so I've decided to re-post this Vitamin G post from a few years back. What? You've never heard of Vitamin G?! I'm sure you've heard of Vitamins A, B, C, D, E, and K.... Actually Vitamin G is the obsolete name for Riboflavin or Vit. B2. But I am referring to the more recently coined term Vitamin G which refers to the medicinal  influence of greenspace. And I am seriously needing some Vitamin G greenspace these days.... Winter has dragged on long enough and I am ready for spring green, and I'm not just talkin' St. Patricks Day either. Primary care physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists and other health care professionals are now writing formal prescriptions for "Vitamin G" - with specified amounts of exercise or time spent in urban greenspace, gardens, arboretums and forests. Prescription details include walking, hiking, gardening and opportunities for solitude and contemplation in green spaces.  It's been shown that as little as 20 minutes spent in greenspace can rejuvenate the mind and positively influence one's health. I think I'm feeling the need to visit my physician for a prescription... I guess I could always visit the local nursery for a dose of green...
How do you like this cute little fella? He sure was GREEN...

I can't wait to get out into my garden. It won't be long... spring is less than three weeks away now. (I hope Mother Nature is paying attention to her calendar!!) Before long we'll see tree buds swelling, and shoots poking up from the soil; the lawns will start to green up and my hubby will be out there raking, and sweeping the sidewalk.  Sigh....

In case you also are feeling a Vitamin G deficiency, I thought I'd share some green photos with you today- all taken last spring, some in my garden, some just nearby...  Take heart, spring will soon be here...



and we'll be seeing lovely green spaces like this....

 

and things in the garden like this....


 ... and once we start seein' the green.. the flowers can't be far behind...


I'm linking to Mosaic Monday with Judith at Lavender Cottage. Be sure you pop over there to see all the wonderful mosaics today.

Peace,
Linda

“Winter is on my head, but eternal spring is in my heart.”  ~ Victor Hugo

20 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

O Man! I'm with you! But my bluebirds are selecting nesting boxes already and fighting with the evil sparrows for space so spring is almost here.

Thanks for the vita G...we need it.

Darlene D said...

Beautiful pictures. I've enjoyed the winter but am starting to long for spring. I enjoy the change of seasons so much, can't imagine living somewhere without that to look forward to.

Gwen Buchanan said...

I like this Vit G thing. and I agree. hope this winter's snow has next years combined.. I'm looking forward to an open winter next year. or at least I can hope.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Now that was a great dose of vitamin G Linda, especially the neon beetle. Thanks!
Have you read the book 'Last Child in the Woods, Saving our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder'?
Judith

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Your lovely, green images do help! :)

eileeninmd said...

Hello, yes, I do love your greens. Very pretty images. They have me longing for spring and flowers.. Beautiful mosaics, have a happy day and week ahead!

Lee@A Guide to Northeastern Gardening said...

All your lovely green is a welcome sight on this cold March day. I enjoyed visiting and also look forward to spring!

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

I am in a critical Vitamin G deficiency here! Thanks for the shot of green.

Forest Dream Weaver said...

Love the beetle.....but isn't he going to attract attention?

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Such beautiful shades of green!!! We too anticipate the wonders of spring!!!

DeniseinVA said...

This is a great read, very interesting and I love your photos. I found a beetle exactly like your bright green one last year and at the time identified it as a Tiger Beetle. Cute little thing as beetles go.

Anonymous said...

oh, I would like it very much, if you could decide to link up photos to my blog:
http://samstagsspaziergang.blogspot.de/


...grüsse aus bad kreuznach, the little town with the puppets-museum
Pippa

psychelyn said...

Vit G is very much in need. Those pictures are truly delightful.

Alexa T said...

Oh, indeed, like you already said: "everyone is anxious to welcome Spring"!! Amazing pictures of green spaces, green vegetations, blooms and the Hugo's quote... a spiritual "delight" for soul and inner peace!! Thank you for this post dedicated to Mother Nature and I wish you a Happy March in the beginning of calendaristic Spring!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I'm glad you posted about vitamin G again, it is a needed vitamin and I'm sure I got lots in Florida. ;-)
You must tell me how to repost an older one, I didn't realize you could.
Thank you for linking to Mosaic Monday Linda.

Debby Ray said...

I had never heard of Vitamin G but I certainly agree we all need some. Your photos are just stunning!

Jackie @ travelnwrite said...

Loved your Vitamin G post. We actually are getting an early dose of it and Vitamin D (from the most unusual sunshine for this time of year). Hope you'll visit Travelnwrite again soon and thanks for visiting this week!

Life Images by Jill said...

I think vitamin G is an absolute necessity! I am wishing you more sun and more outside time! Have a great week and thank you for stopping by my blog this week.

My Maine Blog said...

Yessssss, I love this ... all this green and soon we'll all be basking in the sunshine and watching the grass turn green instead of watching the snow melt. Sure did need your Vitamin G to help carry me through the next few weeks. I'm just glad I can say "the next few weeks" and this winter will be a distant memory ... THANK GOODNESS !!!!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Thanks Linda... You are a mindreader!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...