STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, August 10, 2012

Bless All That Grows

It's been a while since I've shown you any stitching. This piece of cross-stitch was finished long ago and rolled up (and forgotten!!) I found it recently and got it framed very simply. Being a gardener, I like it's message...  I'm thinkin' the good Lord must be blessing all that grows around here, otherwise things would have dried up and died long ago. We have had a very hot dry summer and the crops and gardens have suffered. 
I have been watering every day for weeks now (and I'm getting more than a little tired of it!) My little vegetable garden is doing OK but more rain would sure help. Things have been a little slow developing, but the few short rains we've had in the last week have sure made a difference! You can almost SEE things growing after a rain...
Do you have a vegetable garden? My Mum always had a great garden, and I have continued  to work the same plot. I add compost every year and the earth always rewards me with a good yield. This year I have lettuce, spinach, peas, yellow beans, beets, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers and several rows of flowers. I have planted about 125 gladiola bulbs and a double row of cosmos, in hopes that they will all bloom at the right time to provide flowers for bouquets for a friend's wedding near the end of this month (not the bridal bouquets, but just "informal garden flower bouquets" for decorating).  I staggered the planting of the bulbs over about 3 weeks so I'm hoping at least some of them will be right on target with their bloom-time.  The wedding is two weeks away and the first two glads have just started to bloom now, so I think we'll be okay. It was a gamble as you never know what the weather will be like...  Isn't this one below lovely?

Peace,
Linda

We Have A Little Garden

We have a little garden,
A garden of our own,
And every day we water there
The seeds that we have sown.

We love our little garden
And tend it with such care
You will not find a faced leaf
Or blighted blossom there.

~ Beatrix Potter

3 comments:

Dolores said...

Cute stitchery. My mom loved gladiolas. My dad used to buy a bouquet for her on special occasions. We lived in an apartment building so there was no way they could be planted. Right now, even though our backyard is big, we just have tomatoes - 6 different varieties.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your pink gladiolas are gorgeous! Thye will make lovely wedding flowers. I never read this beatrix Potter poem before --it is very sweet.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

A very nice post as always Linda. We have had such a different summer with regular rains and high humidity that we're just not used to. Our garden is fabulous this year as a result. Your glad looks gorgeous :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...