STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, March 16, 2012

Who doesn't love Lemon?

To me, one of the flavours of spring is lemon. Don't ask me why, it's just that it is refreshing, tangy... springy? I certainly love lemon flavour at any time of year, and here is one of my favourite lemon recipes. It was called Frozen Lemon "Cheesecake" when it was given to me, but it's actually not a cheesecake at all, as it contains no cheese! "Frozen Lemon Dessert" would be more accurate. Call it whatever you like- it's still yummy! Yummy, quick and easy, that's what we all like, right? It's NOT low cal, with all the cream, but it is nice and light.

Frozen Lemon Dessert

Crust: 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine

Filling: 5 eggs
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (you'll probably need 3 lemons, or more if they are small)
zest of 1 lemon
2 cups whipping cream

Method: Mix crumbs and melted butter or margarine together, press into bottom and at least an inch up the sides of a lightly greased 9" springform pan. Bake at 350° F for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.

In a double boiler, beat eggs and then add sugar, lemon juice, and zest. Place over heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Let cool. Whip the cream. Fold in lemon mixture, pour into crust. Cover tightly with foil and freeze.  Remove from freezer at least 1/2 hour before serving.  Garnish with fresh berries, fruit or as desired.  Now how easy is that?!

Note: You can use any crumb crust you like - the original recipe suggested an Oreo crust as an alternative. Much as I love chocolate (You KNOW I do!!) I don't care for lemon and chocolate together... But a Gingersnap crust or one with finely chopped nuts or coconut might be yummy too...

I received another "mail surprise" today.. my winnings from Mandy's Blog Giveaway. It's a very nice selection of beads and I may put some of them to use right away on this week's TAST piece...  Thanks so much Mandy!!




Peace,
Linda

"It is in the small decisions you and I make every day that create our destiny." ~ Anthony Robbins

2 comments:

GailM. said...

I love lemon deserts. I think I love lemon even more than chocolate. But I rarely make a lemon desert myself. I must give this one a try when I get home. Would be good for easter company. Love your bead winnings..

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Your lemon pie looks delicious & thanks for posting the recipe too! Congrats on your win :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...