STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sugarbush at the Landing...

 I really need a few more hours in each day. Any ideas how I can go about that?? The days seem to fly by, and I never seem to get caught up - always a list..   It was a busy weekend, with Laura home and Mark  had a buddy here for part of the weekend. I taught a class on Monday - three done, 1 left to go.. I had a great group at Cotton Mill QG for my Machine Quilting class- thanks everyone, it was a fun
filled day for all... Yesterday was another busy one - errands to do, things to get ready for our Guild meeting,  both Choir and Guild to attend...   Acckkkk.. I think I need a few days on a hot sunny beach somewhere to re-charge...

  Saturday (St. Patrick's Day) Laura and I attended Sugarbush Weekend at Kings Landing. It was a beautiful sunny day and there were many in attendance which was great to see. There is always a big Pancake and Maple Syrup breakfast (with beans, bacon, sausages, eggs, toast and beverage too!!) - it's a fundraiser for the local Ground Search and Rescue team, and I think they did very well - there appeared to be a constant  lineup of hungry folks waiting for a seat.
 It was great to walk around the Landing once again, this was my first "winter" visit. Of course we had to have some yummy Maple Candy - boiling syrup poured on fresh snow to harden, then it is rolled up on a stick..so sweet and good...  Many people have little idea about the whole maple industry and how maple products (syrup, sugar, butter and candy) are made. This event at least gives an idea of the process although today's industry has
certainly come  a long way from how it was done in the 1800's. Today's miles of plastic tubing and huge evaporators are much more efficient than the old spiles and cans hung on trees, and boiling in a huge iron pot over an open  fire... But it is good for people to see how it was done in the past. And maple candy on the snow is as popular as ever, especially with the children! (Even big kids... like us...) I just read on the KL site that they served 2,370 Sticks of Maple Candy over the weekend...wonder how many it will be next weekend?

 Visitors also could enjoy a wagon ride and a visit to the Joslin farm. Mrs. Joslin was baking and serving Buttermilk Bran Cake (delicious!) and Miss Joslin was spinning...The children were delighted to visit with live farm animals- horses, sheep, pigs, geese, etc.
 Laura loved seeing her large KL "family" - there were lots of happy shrieks and hugs. We enjoyed lunch and hot cider at the Kings Head Inn, and just, overall, loved being back at one of our most favourite places in N.B. The Landing sure looks different with snow on the ground... All in all a great day spent with my darlin' daughter... I hope you enjoy my photos....











 

 

 



 If you couldn't make it to KL Sugarbush last weekend, you have one more chance- it is running again this coming weekend - March 24 and 25 - Saturday and Sunday from 8:30 -5pm. Go with an empty stomach (real empty) so you can partake in the Pancake Breakfast too!! Breakfast is served 8:30-1:30.

Peace,
Linda

"A morsel of genuine history is a thing so rare as to be always valuable." ~ Thomas Jefferson

7 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

Hi Linda. Your photos are beautiful. I was there on Sunday afternoon and even took some of the same photos as you. :) It was a gorgeous afternoon and I noticed that in your photos there is more snow on the ground than there was on Sunday. That's how hot it was! KL is one of my favorite places to visit in any season. Pamela

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Very lovely pictures Linda & it looked like a wonderful day. I certainly hear you when it comes to wishing there were more hours in our day!

GailM. said...

You need to get rid of the kids, get in your car, and come to South Carolina for a visit. It's hot and sunny here. Well, I guess it's hot and sunny from what I hear in Freddy today, too!

The pics of the sugarbush are wonderful. I have never been to KL in the winter.

shirley said...

Your photos are Lovely Linda, real storybook pics. sounds like you had a wonderful day.

Ranjana's craft blog said...

Thanks for sharing your experience with nice photos

Dolores said...

Been there many years ago - but in the summer.It looks great with all that snow.

Marie Alton said...

Wow ... what a great experience!

I do not envy you those remnants of snow ... but it looks lovelyin the photos!

St. Pats here was ... well ... green! We have had awesome warm weather for a while now ... this past week hovering close to the 20 C mark.

Ontario is another province very big on Maple products ... my DH aquires several full litre canning jars of maple syrup every year from one specific source ... which usually runs out just as the next batch is on the market.

Nothing more delectable as real maple syrup on pancakes ... unless of course it comes with a side of Garlic/Maple Bacon ... mmm ... my mouth is watering as I type!

Hugs ... Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...