STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Take A Stitch Tuesday Week 3... Featherstitch

This week's stitch in the TAST challenge is the featherstitch. It has long been my favourite stitch. Once again I have some previous work to share with you- two stitch samplers plus some feather stitch on a work in progress and on a completed project.  I am posting my pics today, as I was very late last week and I don't think many TAST participants had a look... If you missed last week's TAST post (Buttonhole stitch) you can see it here. So here are my featherstitch photos for this week.
At right is my first Featherstitch Sampler, showing (top to bottom) 1. Featherstitch, 2. Double featherstitch, 3. Triple featherstitch, 4. "Freeform" featherstitch, 5. "Branched" featherstitch, 6. Maidenhair featherstitch,
7. Single featherstitch, 8. Closed featherstitch.








The second sampler (at left) shows some variations, including straight featherstitch, knotted featherstitch, a variation incorporating chain stitch and several rows of "mirror-image" straight featherstich... I love them all!












Photos of past work showing featherstitch follow - some are beaded or have French knots added, some is used to secure tatting (I love doing that - just love the look of it!), and another fav use of this stitch is to add it to floral sprays to represent greenery, fern or whatever...








 My latest sampler at right, shows a "border " (top and right side) of layered featherstitch, the first (under) layer done with a heavier thread -Koigu - a hand-dyed 100% Merino wool and the second row on top is a Finca Perle 8. The next row is featherstitch chained, followed by a row of featherstitch with French knots added in a rayon thread.Then I tried my hand at a leaf - remember, in nature, not every leaf is perfect...wink...  Then we have Maidenhair featherstitch with french knot "blossoms" added, and below it the same stitch with detached chain "blossoms". Then a row of straight featherstitch with straight stitch  added and lastly a wide row of featherstitch with a rayon thread woven through. At the bottom, some "freeform" featherstitch...
 I guess you can probably tell from the above, I love featherstitch. I wonder what stitch Sharon will choose next ?
I made brown bread and a fav soup this afternoon, (great "comfort food" on a cold January day), we have friends coming over for supper so I'd better get movin' and make a salad...
Later, peeps!

(Sunday Edit: See Sharon's Week 3 Highlights here)

Peace,
Linda

"I am prepared to go anywhere, provided it be forward." ~David Livingstone

12 comments:

shirley said...

Beautiful work as usual

La Bastidane (Nathalie Locquen) said...

Really beautiful work, I like it, thank you for the share.

GailM. said...

You really are the stitching queen. This is so impressive.

Anita said...

Your sampler is beautiful!
Thanks for sharing.

Raphaela said...

Soooo beautiful.

Kira said...

It's great to see all the different ways you've used Feather stitch.

Lorraine said...

Another beautiful selection Linda!

Maggi said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog. Your work is so beautiful.

Susan Elliott said...

Your stitching is perfection my dear!

Angela Grasse said...

Your stitching is gorgeous!!!

Linda H said...

Thank you all for your very kind comments!

Linda H said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...