STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Thursday, February 28, 2019

Log Cabin Miniature




I have another small project finish to share with you today. The blocks for this miniature quilt have been made for .. ahem.. "a while" now. They are foundation pieced, on paper. The finished block size is 2 1/4” and each log is 1/4" wide. Finished quilt size is 10 1/4” x 12 1/2”. Have I told you before that Log Cabin is my all time favourite quilt pattern? Sure I have, but I think it bears repeating. I used Aurifil thread for the piecing of the blocks. Because it is a 2 ply thread, it takes up less space in the seams, a good thing when you're working tiny like this! I work on a number of blocks at a time, and switch back and forth between a light coloured thread with the light logs and a darker thread (usually grey) with the dark logs. I find this works well when foundation piecing, as thread sometimes shows here and there after the paper is removed and a stitch or two has "pulled."  I don't want light thread showing between dark logs, or vice versa!


This miniature top is done totally from scraps and leftovers, and the backing is a Buttermilk Print fabric by RJR that I've had for likely twenty years. It was purchased at a wonderful little shop (that no longer exists) in St. Agatha, west of Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario. I remember well my visit there (and considerable “stash enhancement”.)
I added a very narrow flat piping between the two borders.



The quilting is simple, as best suits a miniature, with straight lines done with my walking foot. I had several spools of lovely Aurifil fall colours, any of which I thought would work well, but it turns out I liked the soft yellow (#2130) best for the light areas and I didn’t like any of these colours on the darks so I ended up using a soft medium brown. Black Aurifil thread was used on the black border for several concentric rows.  I’m not 100% sure this is totally finished. I’m thinking of adding a bit of appliqué in two corners of the outer border.... what do you think?  Still pondering...

If you read the previous post on my Winter Blossom miniature here, you might like to see the “final touch” I've added. Since it was somewhat of a joint project with my friend Karen Neary, and since she is an apiarist (beekeeper) I knew I just had to add a little bee. Thanks to my friend Sandi for finding me the perfect little honeybee, and thanks to Sheila for bringing her home from Florida.
Up next, several more small project finishes.
I am linking to Wendy's Peacock Party link up. Check it out here.

Piece!
Linda

Quilters are not greedy, they are just “materialistic.”

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

That is such a sweet miniature, Linda! And such a cute honey bee, a honeycomb quilt certainly needs a bee.

Karen said...

Lovely work, Linda, and your quilting is "just right" to add to the traditional look of your quilt. If you added appliqué, what would it be?

Vee said...

You do such lovely, meticulous work even on a wee piece like this. The bee looks wonderful on your former quilt. Happy March!

Farm Quilter said...

Beautiful log cabin quilt and that bee is perfect for your Winter Blossom quilt!!

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

Wow Linda! That's amazing - the pieces are so tiny. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

Linda H said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...