STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Florida Fish and Flowers

As I started this post this morning, it was snowing, yet again. (Insert sad discouraged face here.) Our ground is still covered, although there are some bare batches appearing at the base of trees and along the driveway edge. I am so very ready for some significant signs of spring to arrive. Those of you who are enjoying spring, please send it our way. I just had to change my header, I couldn't stand looking at the wintery photos any longer!
So to appease myself, today's post will feature lots of green, and some Florida blooms. Although we spent a lot of time indoors at the quilt show, and shopping throughout the week, of course we had some outdoor time too to soak up some Vitamin D and enjoy "nature."
We visited a wonderful exhibit ("Our Body, The Universe Within") at the South Florida Science Center and Aquarium.  Photos were not allowed, but I strongly encourage you to see this amazing exhibit if it ever comes to your area, if you are interested in the human body and how it functions. From the publicity website: "OUR BODY: THE UNIVERSE WITHIN is a fascinating, artful and educational exhibit consisting of actual human bodies and organs. Appropriate for all ages, this exhibit literally goes "under the skin" revealing the mysteries of the human anatomy. The bodies, specimens and organs have been preserved using a process known as polymer impregnation."
We both thoroughly enjoyed it.

 At entrance of South Florida Science Center in West Palm Beach
Of course we took a stroll through the aquarium as well. I love aquariums so wasn't going to miss this chance. Good photos were not easy to acquire as of course the fish haven't been trained to stop swimming and "pose".. haha


I did manage to get one good shot of Mr. Lionfish. He was so beautiful to watch, with all his fan-like "plumage"....


And these two fellows were happy to pose...


Aren't they cute? Who would like a baby 'gator?


Okay, enough of the "Florida wildlife"... let's move on to some green....

When one is a gardener, winter "here in the north" is far too long. It just does my heart and soul good to be able to have a few days of sunshine, warmth and GREEN to "tide me over" until we see spring arrive. I so enjoy the gardens and blooms, the trees and the palms... Let's go take a walk around Sandi's front and back yard....


Banana trees, mandavilla, bougainvillea, hibiscus, split-leaf philodendron, ti plant, and several which I cannot identify... yes, it's a beautiful spot...

Not to mention the trees and the river..... which will have to wait for another day. It is late and I must get my beauty sleep...

Peace,
Linda

"Stop, take a moment, look around you and appreciate the beauty in your life."
~ Gail Lynne Goodwin

8 comments:

kath001 said...

Amazing photographs!

Coastal Ripples said...

I feel for you waiting for spring to arrive. Just as well that you have lovely colourful photos yo fall back to. Love your new header. Fingers crossed you will get warmer weather soon. B x

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Your weather is almost identical to ours. Sigh! It wouldn't be needed much, just some degrees more and a little bit of sunshine and the snow would start to melt and the spring would come... :)
Wonderful photos from Florida, Linda. The fish are spectacular, but my favourite images are of course the flowers of the last collage. Oh so beautiful! Colours, sunshine!
Your header images are wonderful too.
Spring will soon come to us, it must! Hugs!

Vee said...

No baby gators for me! 😣

Good thing that you have some happy, warm memories to haul out at such times. ☀️

It's pouring here. I've noticed that it makes the snow quite porous so I am hoping that when the sun comes out someday, it'll make short work of this white stuff.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Great pictures...except for the gators, lol. We got that snow and have wind advisories today. They say 70 and sun on Saturday. Hopefully Spring will stick around for a while. Whether it does or not, we are going out to buy rocking chairs for the front deck. When it gets here, I'm ready!!
xx, Carol

Pamela Gordon said...

I love the colourful fish and flowers! Yes, we are ready for more colour in our landscape for sure! I haven't seen a robin yet but it seems everyone in this area has. I think they are avoiding me. At least the rain and fog will melt down the snow. We'll soon be seeing some green sprigs of grass appearing if the temps warm and we get some sunshine.

Lowcarb team member said...

We have enjoyed a wonderful spring-like day in the UK, so sorry to hear about the snow!

I just had to stop by ... your photo's are lovely, beautiful colours and I like how you've set them in a mosaic.

All the best Jan

Sandi Mac said...


Fun memories for me too!! Thanks for the reminder. I did not realize that there are so many flowers in my yard. I threated the irises with replacement and they finally are blooming again!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...