STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Saturday, February 25, 2017

On My Bookshelf

The Deep End of the Ocean, Jacquelyn Mitchard's debut novel, is the story of a child abduction - every parent's worst nightmare. It opens as Beth Cappadora heads off to her 15th high school reunion in Chicago with her three young children and a babysitter in tow. While she is registering in the busy hotel lobby, three year old Ben disappears, escaping the (not quite watchful enough) eye of older brother Vincent, aged seven. It seems he has vanished without a trace...
His disappearance leaves Beth wallowing in guilt and agony, and drives a wedge through  her marriage and the family as a whole. As the family dynamics deteriorate over the next nine years, it seems things will never be the same again. And then... Well, I can't tell you anymore - that would spoil the story, wouldn't it? You'll have to read it yourself to see what happens.
I'm sure every mother could identify with what Beth goes through, who knows how one would react? Indeed, it IS every parent's worst nightmare. I can remember so clearly being in a similar situation sixteen years ago.. We had taken our two, ages 10 and 12 at the time, to Florida; our first big family vacation ever, their first time flying. It was a fabulous holiday, spent mostly at Disneyworld. The kids had been SO good - no problems at all, and we all had had SO much fun! But on our very last full day there, Laura disappeared. We were still at the hotel, ready to have breakfast, after having a family portrait taken (you know, one of those promotional package deals offered by the hotel that you couldn't resist.) We split up before heading to the dining room and both of us thought Laura was with the other parent. It was all a misunderstanding, and she had gone back up to our room. But for a few agonizing minutes that seemed like hours, I was in a panic. I was sure someone had abducted her, on our very last day!! I think I almost squished her to death, hugging her so tight when she re-appeared. I'm sure I aged at least 20 years in those few minutes...
Have you ever had a similar experience with one of your children?

Peace,
Linda

"Children are happy because they don't have a file in their minds called "All the Things That Could Go Wrong." ~ Marianne Williamson

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Another book to think about, Linda - shall have to see if the library has it.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

We had an incident in Florida when our girls were 4 and 5. Luckily we were on a short cruise (at Disney I believe) when our youngest disappeared. We managed to be one of the first off the boat and waited at the bottom searching everyone who exited and sure enough, here comes our girl holding the hand of the captain. Another time, same trip, we were standing and watching a presentation. Daddy had on a red shirt and not paying attention (same daughter) goes and takes the hand of a guy with a red shirt on. I should have grey hair by now because this is the very daughter who once dropped a big box of smarties at the show and they bounced and rolled all over! lol
I'll keep this book in mind, thanks. :-)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I raised 4 sons and had all kinds of crazy experiences....and still do! But I remember the worst I ever felt was when one of my sons was a teenager and got left behind at an event. Someone else was responsible for his ride...but I was the one that cried and worried. It came out alright in the end but I'll never forget that miserable feeling. Hugs!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OMGosh yes. A horrible memory like it was yesterday. My daughter was about 4. We were shopping in Goldblatts in the clothes department. Laurie was playing in the clothes hanging on round racks. The next thing I knew I couldn't find her and I was yelling my head off. I remember seeing a guy with a stocking hat on with a walky talky in his hand. He came over to me and said we found your daughter and led me to the service desk. There she sat on the counter with her legs crossed and her arms folded across her chest and asked ME how I got lost!

The book sounds good. I'll put it on my list.
xx, Carol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...