STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, January 23, 2017

Amaryllis Beauty


How lucky we were to enjoy the incredible blooms of this amaryllis in early January. It missed Christmas by two weeks but we didn't care.




This bulb was purchased in the fall of  2015, so this was its second blooming. It is called "Flamenco Queen" and this time there was just a single stalk with four blossoms (last year it had three stalks and twelve blooms!) but it reached a great height, 35.5" from top of bulb to tip of bloom! Watching the buds open is great fun.





 What a beauty, and how perfect for the Christmas season with its rich deep red speckled petals and bright green throat. I so enjoy my amaryllis "collection" especially in the dead of winter as my perennial gardens slumber through the cold winter months.
I have four other bulbs "resting".... I must check them today to see if there are any signs of new shoots sprouting. More fresh blooms in February would be nice, wouldn't it?










Have you ever had an amaryllis?

I am linking to Mosaic Monday at Normandy Life. Be sure to stop by to check out the other mosaics.




Peace,
Linda

"Flowers always make people better, happier and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul."  ~ Luther Burbank

14 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Your amaryllis is beautiful. I used to have one in my office every Christmas. I love how the stalk is so tall and the flowers beam out all around it. I haven't had one for many years. There is something about flowers that just make you happy. Last week before we went to visit my SIL, we stopped at the store. We spotted a small bouquet of flowers. Should we take her a cake or flowers. FLOWERS! She loved them.
xx, Carol

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful....yes, I have been given them before for Christmas! and when we lived in grayer chilly climates the color was so cheering in the winter! Your lovely pictures bring back memories. Now, here in Florida for the winter, I can just go outside for my flower fix!

Maggie said...

Hi Linda, I adore amaryllis plants but have only ever owned one which didn't do too well as I recall. Yours on the other hand is stunning, it may have fewer flowers this time than previously but it is still very beautiful, love your mosaics.
Happy MM, have a great week.
Maggie

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Beautiful! I've never grown anything from bulbs, especially not indoors. As Sallie said, although it's winter here in the desert, it's our growing season and the only time outdoor flowers thrive. :)

Rajesh said...

Very pretty flower.

Unknown said...

It is beautiful Linda. Mine just finished blooming and had 2 stalks 4 blossoms each. What do you do with yours when they are finished blooming?

Vee said...

That is stunning! I do have an amaryllis, but it is ill and about to be binned. I don't think that it is possible for it to recover.

Forest Dream Weaver said...

What a beautiful amaryllis - so much loveliness from a single bulb!

Linda H said...

Mary, I am not on Google + so cannot access your email to reply personally so I hope you see this. The stalks should be cut down,leaving abut 1.5"-2". It will eventually dry and shrivel up. Then treat it like any other plant, watering, occasional fertilizer, good light, etc. so that bulb will grow. Eventually the leaves will turn brown and die down, or you can force that by decreasing the watering. When they have all died down, place it in a dark spot (not too cold) to "rest". Do not water during this rest period. After several months, bring it out again, and begin to water. Before long you should see signs of life and if you're lucky, a new stalk of buds. Call me if you want to discuss this further.

Lorrie said...

That is a stunning amaryllis! Such vibrant colour and design. I used to have amaryllis at Christmas, but have lately taken to paper whites. I never mind if my plants don't flower at Christmas because there's always so much going on just then. A few weeks later, it seems that I appreciate the blooms more.
Have a great week.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

What a beauty! The colours are gorgeous.
Flowers certainly make people happier, much happier! :)

Unknown said...

Thank you Linda for your response to my amaryllis question. I did get it. I am not sure how to change my No Reply blogger. Any suggestions?

Linda said...

I don't think I have had one, but if I saw that variety I would simply have to get it! A stunner!

Jennifer said...

How gorgeous are these!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...