STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, March 18, 2016

Using Up Leftovers, Part 2

I love squash, but only in the fall when it is fresh, tasty and dry. I have tried storing it through the winter, but with less than satisfactory results. I've also tried freezing it, following my sister-in-law's instructions to the letter. She freezes squash each year and says it comes out tasting just like it is fresh in the fall. I figure she must have a secret she's not sharing with me... So I tried again last fall, but it is pretty much tasteless. I have several packages left and can't bear to throw it out so yesterday I decided a soup might be a good way to use it up.
I didn't follow a recipe, just my "instincts" haha. I had some chicken broth that needed to be used up and several apples that were getting past their best. While the squash thawed, I chopped a medium onion, peeled and chopped two apples, and sautéd them in butter until tender. In the last minute I added some fresh minced garlic and freshly grated ginger. Next I added about 2 tsp. curry paste and then stirred in about 2 cups of chicken broth. This all went into the blender along with the thawed squash (about 2 cups (?) cooked and mashed). Once it was puréed until smooth, it went into a saucepan with a good dash of salt and pepper and some coffee cream, and heated to serving temperature. It was quite yummy if I do say so myself! Even hubby gave it the thumbs up. The only thing that would have improved it is a good splash of maple syrup. I love maple syrup as a flavouring for squash, but our year's supply of syrup is gone. (I'll fix that on Saturday morning at the farmer's market!) I garnished the soup with a few crispy croutons, but a swirl of sour cream, or maple syrup, would be good options as well. I do love a big bowl of homemade soup!! What about you? Is homemade soup on your list of favourite things?

Peace,
Linda

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking, you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude."  ~Julia Child

7 comments:

Dolores said...

I have been thinking of soup for the past few days. Maybe this weekend - for lunch. Yours looks yummy.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Your soup looks delicious, Linda! :)
First I needed to understand if "squash" means the same as "pumpkin"... More or less, I think. In Italy we froze pumpkin (in cubes) to be used in risottos and with pasta and I think the taste stays rather nice.
Thank you for sharing the recipe! Have a lovely weekend!

Pamela Gordon said...

Your squash soup sounds delicious and I also like to add maple syrup to the store bought one that I tend to buy. lol I've never frozen squash but have tried to keep it in the cold room before - to no avail. Our basement is just too warm I guess. I'm hoping to go to Kings Landing on Sunday afternoon before the big storm hits. Have you been up for Sugar Bush?

Lori E said...

This is the only way I will eat squash. I don't care for it otherwise.
Our recipes are quite similar. Sometimes I use a nice ripe pear instead of an apple.
I think the main thing is not to have too light a hand with the seasonings. Yummy.

kath001 said...

That looks so good. And I just heard that studies are showing that real maple syrup may protect our brains from diseases, so I may be adding it to lots of things. :)

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Squash soup is one of my favourites but lately I've been making hubby's favourite, beef barley. I've frozen pumpkin and squash for use in soups but don't know how it would be as a dinner vegetable.

Laura said...

Yum! Made this this week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...