STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Stepping Stones Table Runners





It's high time I showed you a few completed sewing projects (just in case you think I've been slacking.) These two runners are done from the same pattern, Stepping Stones Table Runner by midcoast cottage design. I cannot say I've been bitten by the "modern quilting" bug but I did like this pattern. It has a somewhat modern look to it, I think. It's about as modern as you'll see from this ole traditional gal. I will include these with other samples for my machine quilting classes; I think students find it helpful to see the same project quilted in different ways. I know I do; many of us struggle with how to quilt something, ie. what type of design to use. The runner at 15" x 54" is a bit too big for my kitchen table but it fits well on the dining room table.



The first one was done with a Moda charm pack called Tole Christmas.  I quilted this one with 1" cross-hatching in a 50 wt. light green Aurifil thread (colour 1231).











Although many like to quilt with a 40 wt. I often use 50 wt. when I don't want the quilting to "take over." When I want the colours/fabrics/pattern design to be the main focus, the quilting is secondary to me and this nice fine 50 wt. 2 ply is just the answer! It's there, but it's not "in your face."  Beautiful! Love my Aurifil! 

The pattern required 1 yard for the background and binding, but with some very careful planning and using more pieces from the charm pack, I pieced a section of the back and had enough for background, binding AND the backing by purchasing 1.25 yards. Whew! It was a squeaker though, almost nothing left over!



The second one was done with batiks from my stash in autumn tones of greens, golds and burgundies. The colour of the background is a soft gold, a little hard to tell in these photos. It wasn't great lighting today...







Again I pieced a section of the backing (makes it a little more interesting anyway, don'cha think?) and it was quilted with simple straight lines in a 30 wt. Sulky Blendable thread, colour 4044 - "Butterscotch." I like both runners, but I think I prefer this one. I do love me some luscious batiks....

Piece!
Linda

Gather the threads of your life... and stitch them into joy!

6 comments:

Vee said...

Very nice...gives me ideas about using up scrap pieces...nope, tossed them out this week. Could not take the clutter anymore. I do like the batiks, though the first one is my favorite. I would never think that you were slacking!

Jennifer said...

What a fun pattern! Like you I am unswayed about modern quilts, but then I see an interesting idea and think "hmmmm.......maybe". While visiting Canada late last year my DIL and I attended a quilt show and a modern quilt there really caught my (traditional!) eye.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Like them both. Especially like that you have blocks on the back. Not that you asked, but the second one is my favorite of the two.
xx, Carol

Unknown said...

What a great stash buster, lovelyxx

Jeanna said...

Beautiful runners. While the Christmas fabrics are nice for the holiday, you know I love my batiks!

Sheila said...

Both lovely runners but I too love the batiks best . I haven't quite caught the modern bug either although I have seen some that I loved just not enough to duplicate them 😊

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...