STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Thursday, January 7, 2016

On My Bookshelf

Books - one can never have too many. That has always been my philosophy!  I learned to love reading as a child, and when I wanted a new book, I don't remember that I ever once heard "no you cannot have it." Lucky for me, my mother was an avid reader who understood and shared my thirst for books. She taught me how to use a library and before long I didn't care whether I owned or borrowed the book, as long as I had something new to read. I was a "regular" at both the school  and public libraries.
Finished and waiting  to be reviewed
When my children were little, I continued the same philosophy. They had far more books than toys, in fact I rarely bought them toys (Lego excepted), but I could never resist buying them books. And the result was that they both were strong readers and top students, and continue to love reading today. I will continue the same strategy with grandchildren.
I saw the following quote not long ago (on Pinterest, I think?) and it is so very true: "There is no app to replace your lap. Read to your child!"  I feel so sorry for the many children who grow up today addicted to tv and all the latest tech gadgets but never learn to love reading. What a shame, they are missing so much.
When I started this blog (almost 7 years ago now!) I began keeping a list of books read. I can hardly believe how long that list has grown. I have thought, more than once, that I should remove it and "start over" but I have a number of readers who have told me they love checking that list for various reasons: to see if I've read a certain book, to get ideas/suggestions, etc. So I have kept it there, and it continues to grow. I would prefer it to be in order by date read rather than alphabetical, but that's the way Blogger does it. Many times I have wished I had started this list many years ago. If I had started it at age 20, how very long it would be now!
Just a few on my "Can't Wait to Read." stack
As well as the list of books already read, I keep an ever-growing list of books I want to read. I think I'll have to give up some other hobbies, and live to be at least 140 to get everything read! Do you keep a list? Where do you get ideas for new books to read? I have a number of friends who are avid readers, so we share suggestions with each other, and Amazon kindly sends me frequent suggestions too. Some of my readers send me their recommendations - thank you! All suggestions welcomed! Pinterest is another source, of course. I recently saw a pin by someone listing what she felt were her 10 top or favourite historical fiction reads... and  I had read 7 of them, so I guess we are on the same wavelength. :)   I'll post her list with a few more additions of my own in a not too distant future post.
So, what are your book habits? Do you keep lists? Do you have any recommendations for me? Do tell.

Peace,
Linda

There is no such thing as too many books, there is only not enough shelves.

10 comments:

Dolores said...

Happy New Year!
Lately, it's been books on tape so I can sew and keep up with some of my favourite authors. I have read a few and two that pop into mind are Canadian. The absolute favourite right now is Factory Voice by Jeanette Lynes. It's about four women during the war and takes place in Port Arthur/Fort William, now known as Thunder Bay. All four women work at a military aircraft factory. I loved it and recommended it to the ladies of my book club who also loved it. Our last book was And the Birds Rained Down by Jocelyne Saucier. Another interesting read. I'd also recommend Honolulu by Alan Brennert. It's about Korean 'picture brides' and the settlement of Honolulu.

kath001 said...

My 'library' and my craft room share the same space. I'm at the point (actually way past it) that I need to clear some books to make room for more fabric storage. But it's so hard! I just have stacks and stacks sitting around instead.

I have a Reading List 'page' on my blog where I list books I read, what I rate them on a scale of one to ten, and a short description. By keeping them on a page that I go in and add to, I keep them in the order I have read (most recent at the top). I also keep a Shelfari book shelf on my blog, which is fun because it shows the covers in the order of reading (descending from most recent). Funny enough, I often wish mine were in alphabetic order. :) The grass is always greener.

Country Gal said...

I don't read as much as I used to but my mum to was a book worm as are two of our kids the third not so much lol ! We do have a lot of book worms in our family though . I still prefer a book in my hand versus the e books though when I do read one Thanks for sharing , have a good weekend !

Empty nester at last said...

I love, love , love Clive Cussler, he is an awesome author. I have ready just about every book he has written. I have new author I am trying, Gail Carriger. She is British so the reading is a bit different, but I really like her first book. Will be going back for the rest.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh how I love books too...they make you feel rich! You always have something good to read right at your fingertips. I keep a list in my journal but I enter my books in Goodreads now too and that's been a fun way to keep track of them. I can look up reviews there too. I know we love many of the same books....I see a few I need to write down on my 'to read' list! Hugs, Diane

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

When I was young, my childhood was not good so I buried myself in books. I attribute that to always being at the top of my class in school including terrific spelling skills, grammar, and vocabulary. I continued to be an avid reader until about 20 years ago when reading books fell off my radar. Every now and then I pick up a book, but now it seems that most of my free time is spent stitching. Sometimes you review a book you have read and I pick it up at the library. I like a printed book much better than digital!!

Karen said...

I'm a reader too, but I've never really done the bestseller thing. When younger, I burned through the classics; now I pick and choose things which are a little off-beat (they make me think). My son has a varied library and I often borrow from him. Chuck Palaniuk was a favourite, until they all became the same. Over Christmas, I read "Avenue of Mysteries", John Irving's latest (I've read all of his), Jerzy Kosinski's"Being There" (very Kafka-esque), and "Sutton", the story of bank robber Willie Sutton...which I read as that's my maiden name (we aren't related!) Next on the list is "Fire In The Belly" about Purdy Crawford, who grew up in Five Islands, same as me. I don't like reading eBooks, and I prefer paperback to hardcover.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Lovely post, dear Linda! "There is no app to replace your lap." I must write that down...
I have always loved reading, but nowadays I have much less time and I read especially non-fiction. (Now a biography of a Finnish politician.)
Even when our son had already learnt to read, we read him all kinds of books, even Donald Duck comics. My husband read the male roles and I the female ones. Magica De Spell and Daisy Duck were my Disney favourites... Good old days! :)
Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I love to read and am in two book clubs, which I really enjoy. This is a great post, and I've scribbled down a few titles and authors to try. I'm intrigued by Karen's suggestion of Fire in the Belly by Purdy Crawford. I've read Great Village set in the same area of Nova Scotia,and I loved it -- gave it 5/5 Stars! Glad you are back to blogging, Linda. I missed you, even if you live just a few streets away! Jeanne Kaye

Sheryl said...

I love reading but it seems that I never have time these days with stitching and reading blogs etc. I only like reading in English and so don´t belong to the book clubs here and have to order anything in English or I might find the odd paperback at the local market. My son bought me an electronic reader but just have to have the `feel´ of a book.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...