STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Ollie, My Sweet Sweet Boy

It seems that life is kicking us while we're down lately. Yesterday we lost our beautiful Oliver. He has been suffering with cardiomyopathy, a common ailment of his breed as they age. Meds for his heart and blood pressure have been a daily occurrence for almost six months now, and we quickly learned that he was not fond of taking pills! The recent addition of a diuretic helped slightly with his breathing, but our prayers were not be answered. Oh what a huge void he has left in our home and our hearts.





I have had cats all my life, but never a cat like Oliver. To say he was special would be an understatement. He had such personality and very quickly had us all, both family and friends, tightly wound around his big tufted paws. Even my hubby who has always professed to hate cats was won over. Although we all loved him dearly, he was definitely my cat. He and I shared a very close bond. He was not happy when I was away,  and rarely left my side when I was home. A constant and loyal companion, he showed his unconditional love with many daily snuggles, nestling his head into my neck or under my chin with a deep resonating purr. He loved to spend time with me in the studio, his favourite spot being on the ironing board (especially if it was warm) so he could see what I was doing.
I am heartbroken to lose him, much too soon. Rest in peace, my sweet boy. I will love you always and forever, dear Ollie.





Pawprints Left by You

You no longer greet me,
As I walk through the door.
You're not there to make me smile,
To make me laugh anymore.
Life seems quiet without you,
You were far more than a pet.
You were a family member, a friend,
A loving soul I'll never forget.

It will take time to heal-
For the silence to go away.
I still listen for you
And miss you every day.
You were such a great companion,
Constant, loyal and true.
My heart will always wear
the Pawprints left by you.

Author Unknown


Peace,
Linda

"What we have once enjoyed we can never lose;
All that we love deeply, becomes a part of us."
Helen Keller

29 comments:

Boud said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Yes, a cat like Ollie has a huge presence in your life. The first cat I ever had, a rescued feral, named Annabelle, who would not let any other human but me near her was that cat of my heart the way Ollie has been to you.

Such an understanding between us, and when she left us, well, no cat since, however beloved, has quite had that place, as Ollie had for you, too. Thank you for the pix of him in this post. What a handsome and lovely being he was. When you're up to it, can you tell us a bit more about him and his life?

Renate said...

No words...just know I empathize with you.

Dolores said...

My condolences.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Oh, Linda, I'm terribly sorry. I know how one feels when losing a very beloved furry friend. I still dream ours - he died more than 20 years ago. He has his gravestone in our garden and I light candles in front of it for Christmas and for the anniversary of his passing away.
Hugs!

kath001 said...

Oh, I'm so, so very sorry to hear you've had another loss. He was a beautiful boy.

Karen said...

Oh, Linda...my heart breaks for you. We've been there and know the hurt. Big hugs to you. :(

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Hi Linda. I always hate to read that a friend has lost a friend. I know this feeling well. The pain dulls but is always there even in the best memories. Much love to you.
xx, Carol

Mam said...

My sincere condolences on the passing of your beautiful kitty.

Vee said...

What a handsome boy. I am sorry for your loss and understand how a cat can be such a dear comfort.

Country Gal said...

Sorry for your loss .

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

How hard it is to lose a furry companion, my sympathy to you Linda.

eileeninmd said...

Good morning, I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to loose our sweet pets. RIP Oliver!

Lorraine said...

I am so very sorry for your loss Linda. Having experienced the same bond and loss myself I can feel your pain. Am sending you big HUGS. Lorraine

primrosesattic said...

I am really sorry you have losted your Oliver, Ollie. Our pets come into our lives and soon become part of the family,So sad. sending hugs.
Rosezeeta x

GailM. said...

Oh Linda. I am so sorry.

LesleyAnn said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I'm crying as I type this because I am going through the same heartbreak. My dog, Samson, passed away on Thursday at age 12 years. He'd been declining for months after a diagnosis of a parathyroid tumor in August 2014. Your Oliver is a lovely animal. I hope you soon will be able to have more smiles than tears.

Blessings,
LesleyAnn

Jeanna said...

Linda, I am so sorry Oliver crossed the rainbow bridge. I had the same kind of bond with my Sadie and miss her terribly. Praying God's peace and comfort for you and all who knew and loved Oliver.

Aunt TC said...

I am so sorry. What a sweet kitty and a dear member of your family. I believe you'll now have a kitty angel watching over you.

Unknown said...

Oh Linda, I am so sorry. It is heartbreaking to lose a beloved pet. I know the feeling well. Take care.
Mary

Linda said...

So sorry for your loss. hugs

sunny said...

So sorry to hear of the loss of your special boy. They sure capture our hearts.

Lori E said...

What a beautiful cat he was. I am truly sorry for your loss. Cats can just envelop us with their love,warmth and sweet purrs and it is a great loss when they are gone.

Alice said...

Ollie was such a beautiful cat. I know how hard it is to say goodbye to beloved pets. So sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

Linda, I'm so sorry for your loss. Ollie was quite a guy and you will miss him on the ironing board. Hugs. JK

patio garden furniture said...

I empathize with you. My condolences. I'm sorry for your loss.

Michele Inman said...

So very sorry for your loss. Ollie was a beautiful boy and sounds he was very special to you. They are all special. We had to let our cat go last December; he was also one of the very special ones, and neither of us are ready for another cat. And right now we're facing making that decision with one of our collies. {{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear your news. Take care...

Kathy said...

I'm late Linda, but just read about Oliver. How sad, what a loss for you, but he was a beauty!

MissesStitches said...

So sorry to hear this, Linda. I know Oliver was special. And I know how hard it is to lose a cat. Just know that I'm thinking of you. Love.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...