STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, May 11, 2015

Catching Up

The last few weeks have been crazy busy, and blogging has had to take a backseat, but hopefully now I'll get back on track. I do have more photos from our quilt show to share, but first I'll fill you in on what's been going on here. The day after our show, Ollie had an "episode." I knew right away something was wrong. His heart rate and breathing were very rapid, his pupils dilated and when he walked his hind end seemed to be dragging a bit. Long story short, a visit to the Vet and he was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, a heart condition common in Maine Coon cats. He stayed with the Vet for about 8 hours before we could bring him home. Poor Ollie was not impressed. He is now on 2 heart meds for life, and not one bit happy about swallowing pills every day. He is way too smart to be fooled with pills disguised in his food...
Mark has moved out and is now in his own place. He has it pretty well furnished, all he needs is a table and chairs for his kitchen. (any of my local readers have a kitchen set you want to get rid of??) He is happy to be on his own, and I now have a guest room!
Last Thursday, my father's homestead which was right next door to us, was torn down. The house was well over 100 years old, and was certainly well past its expiry date, but even so, it's a bit emotional to see it come down. I can just vaguely remember my paternal grandmother in her kitchen, when I was just a little tyke. The next day, a smaller home behind us, which used to belong to my aunt and uncle was also taken down. The debris from both has now been hauled away, but the gaping holes remain, waiting for fill and levelling. So things look a little different around here.. We're feeling a bit "exposed"... Lots of work to be done...
All of this, plus three trips out of town, a judging trip, an out of town show and then a two day teaching gig, and my annual canvassing for the Cancer Society, has kept me busy enough. I'm trying to get some work done outdoors too, but haven't made a lot of headway yet other than uncovering and cleaning off all my perennial beds. Things are growing quickly and the few days of rain we are currently getting are helping everything green up nicely.

So, back to our show. I will be adding a photo gallery on our guild blog so you can see all the photos, but I haven't yet finished editing. Here are some more favourites. We had so many wonderful quilts, I loved them all. I could have taken 10 ballots and voted for 30 different quilts (at least!)  lol

Log Cabin has always been my favourite design. I loved what Monica W. did with this one, "Cabin in the Loft."












Setting up a show is always challenging. It's always good to have a calculator in case you need help figuring things out!!  "Calculations" was made by Sue R. as a gift for her son, an engineer.















Being a lover of blues, you can see why I loved Gwenda's "Cobblestone" quilt. Wow, it takes a lot of
"stones" for a king sized quilt....

















"Lickety Split" by Deanna M. drew lots of attention. Everyone liked its pleasing colour scheme and contemporary feel.














I really liked "Scrappy Trails" by Margie Clouston. I appreciate quilts with lots of piecing- this one sure fits the bill!!  Look at all those tiny four patches!

















"Intersections" by Doris M. was made for a special family friend. Batiks and blues - a winner in my books!












Diane R's "Hawaiian Wedding Rings" was another fav. with its interesting construction and stitching techniques.

Three quilt shows in three weeks...and another one coming up later this month. Can't wait!!





Peace,
Linda

Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joys and sorrows, stitched with love.


8 comments:

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Poor Ollie, I hope his meds make him a happy boy again and I don't envy you trying to get him to take them.
A big step when a guest room opens up in the home and I hope someone donates a kitchen table and chairs. Friends were good to our oldest daughter when she and hubby were in their first apartment and we too have helped young ones starting out.
The calculator quilt is awesome, lucky guy his mother is so talented.
Enjoy the rest of your week Linda.

Jennifer said...

Oh my - you have been busy! Sending good wishes to Ollie from Bianca, she doesn't like having 'things' done to her,whether it's taking the occasional pill or having procedures at the vet. Saying goodbye to some of our childhood can be very emotional, can't it? Makes you realise that the past is gone now, and can't be recovered. Thank you for the quilt pics, it's not quite as good as being there in person......I'm sorry I wasn't able to go to your show, it looks wonderful!

Pamela Gordon said...

HI Linda! Nice to see your post today and know that you are catching up (sort of). Life does get busy. These quilts are gorgeous. Wow. The calculator one is really neat. Will I see you at the quilt show on the 22nd? My friend and I are planning to attend that day. Have a good week.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How wonderful to have so many wonderful quilt shows to go to. Enjoy your week my friend. Hugs, Diane

Kim Stevens said...

So sorry about your "ollie" - I have a standad poodle so it does make it fairly easy to give him meds when I have to. I'm tired just thinking about all the things you are doing right now.
And I love that blue cobblestone quilt, wow!

kath001 said...

Oh those a gorgeous. I wish I could see the last one in person. I just love it.

Karen said...

Hi, Linda: I woke up thinking about Ollie, glad to see your post and know he is ok.
LOVE that calculator quilt - it's awesome!!

My Maine Blog said...

Hope your kitty is doing better now and I too love the log cabin quilts...soooo beautiful and such talent all in one room. Wow you've been through a lot in the past few weeks ... major life changes with seeing your father's house being torn down, your son moving out and a sick kitty too. You amaze me so much that you are able to carry on through all of these changes and the rest of the busy stuff with quilt shows, gardening etc. You are an inspiration with your strength and how you do it all. Love and Hugs : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...