STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Symphony of Spring Guild Show

It's time I got back here and showed you a few photos from our quilt show this past weekend. The show went off without a hitch, which made all the hard work so worthwhile. It was a beautiful show, if I do say so myself. We were so pleased with the entries that came in, we really do have some very talented members! All comments from visitors were positive, with the most common ones being that we had such great variety of styles and techniques, and so many unique pieces of high quality. We worked hard to arrange and re-arrange the quilts until we were pleased with the traffic flow, the colours, the overall look. We always take two days to set up our shows, and that second day is for the "tweaking." It makes all the difference.


I have a few photos to share with you now, and more to come. I'm still editing... I'm going to start with a few of my favourites. First is The Corey Boys by Trudy Corey. This portrait is of  Trudy's two sons, her grandson and her husband (L. to R.) It was finished just a few days before the show. I thought it was an awesome piece and I was so glad to get a photo of Trudy beside it.





Another fav was also by Trudy- Bill's Peony. This piece is currently framed with glass, but because I couldn't get rid of the annoying reflections on the glass, I'm showing you an earlier photo I took of it. This piece was Trudy's first CQA National Juried Show entry (2012.) The petals are so realistic with their shading, and her thread painting and fine quilting stitches are exquisite. The only thing that could make it better would be if you could smell the peony's scent!!












Mary Brown's Storm at Sea quilt Will Your Anchor Hold? attracted much well deserved attention. Mary's perfect piecing, her expert hand quilting and the added "extras" of a mariner's compass and a ship and lighthouse in lower left blocks all caught the eye of many viewers.












Sew Much More by one of our newest members, Margie Clouston, was another awesome piece. You don't often see blue and brown used together and I thought it very attractive; her fabric choices and combinations were wonderful. The star blocks were so well pieced and the machine quilting enhanced the design beautifully.
























Kathy Tidswell's  Day Ebbs drew many admirers. I love the mosaic tiling she used in the sky, a Gloria Loughman technique. I first saw this method at the world show in Florida last year, and am anxious to give it a try. Obviously fabric choices are the key element...






Susan Dobson's Red and White Nine Patch Star Variation came from a challenge a small group of friends did a "few" years ago. There were seven of us, and we each made 4 nine patches for each person in the group. The only rule was that every red you used had to be different- i.e. you needed 20 different reds to do the nine patches. Once we exchanged the nine patches, then we were to keep secret what we were doing with them. No one saw anyone else's project until the tops were done and we "revealed" them all at the same time. They were all quite different - amazing how something as simple as a nine patch can be so versatile. Susan added to her nine patches to get a larger block, and  hand quilted it, so has taken a bit longer to finish hers. Nothing like a show to get you motivated, eh Susan?












Imperial Blooms by Ann VanWart was a wool piece, embellished with a great deal of wonderful embroidery stitches. Photos do not do it justice AT ALL! Ann does such wonderful handwork, and clearly has a great deal of patience. The machine quilting (by Gwenda Quilts) certainly added to the piece.











As you can see, we did have lots of variety at our show. I am humbled and proud to be part of such a talented guild. I have lots more show photos to share with you, but you're going to have to be patient. I have to leave this afternoon  to be out of town for almost two days, and not sure I'll have time to work on editing photos and blogging while away. I promise I'll be back as soon as I can.



Piece!
Linda

"Like everything else, some people will be better at it than others. However, doing something creative is a most rewarding activity, and will result in a great sense of satisfaction, no matter how good or bad the artist may be." ~ Tony Hart

8 comments:

Vee said...

Splendid all! I really like the peony...had to look very closely to see the stitches and Will Your Anchor Hold. Quilts with the added layer of meaning are truly special.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oooohhh...storm at sea is breathtaking! And I love the one with the palm tree. Enjoy your afternoon my friend! Hugs!

Jennifer said...

What wonderful quilts......love the Storm at Sea one, I have a soft spot for that design! Challenges can be very interesting; seeing what different people do with the same design is amazing.

Dolores said...

Thank you. There certainly were some lovely quilts. I think my favourite would be the peony.

Sue said...

It was a beautiful show. Enjoyed it very much?.
sue McEachern

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

These are all amazing, the Corey Boys is so different and such an heirloom piece to hand down.

Pamela Gordon said...

Beautiful quilts and all so different. Did you know about the Keswick Ridge Quilters show coming up May 22 and 23 at Riverside Resort? I hope to go and see this one. I think our weather is about to change for the better finally. It will be so nice to see May roll in.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Wonderful quilts!
Have a sunny and warm May! ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...