STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, March 13, 2015

Stumpy, the Thief


Yesterday morning when I entered the kitchen and looked out the window, I immediately noticed that one of my suet balls was gone. The bottom one was still there but the top one was missing. "Well," I thought, "the netting must have torn and it has fallen into the snow." I didn't give it much more thought, and figured the birds could still peck at it, as I have seen them on the snow cleaning up fallen seed and bits from the suet balls.





This morning when I looked out, the other ball is gone. And the netting. AND one of my HOOKS!!! Okay, what's going on here? It wasn't long before I saw one of our regular visitors - a squirrel we call "Stumpy" because he is missing most of his tail. (Not sure what happened, poor thing, but it makes him distinguishable from all the other squirrels.)











 Anyway, there he was in the tree trying to shimmy down the hanger and get at my other suet holder. "Okay Mr. Stumpy, this really makes you look like the culprit here... You are welcome to the suet ball, but WHERE is my hanging hook? It is a good Lee Valley hanger and I want it back!!!" He gave me a cheeky look, as if he could read my thoughts, the little varmint!! He continued his aerobics and shenanigans, undeterred by several falls. After a while he gave up and scampered away. "Hey! Come back here! I WANT my hanger back, you little thief!"
Doesn't he look guilty to you?
Perhaps he is innocent. Maybe he's just trying to make me laugh on this Friday the 13th. He is entertaining, I must admit... but if he didn't steal it, who did?

Peace,
Linda

"Enter, stranger, but take heed
Of what awaits the sin of greed,
For those who take, but do not earn,
Must pay most dearly in their turn..."
~J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone

13 comments:

Denise at Forest Manor said...

Oh Linda, this is such a cute post!! Stumpy the Squirrel. :-D They're little thieves alright; they're always getting into our bird feeders here. The raccoons are even worse about stealing things, and they're not even cute -- just mean.

Thanks for sharing your funny pics with us. Have a great weekend!

Hugs,

Denise

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Oh, Linda, what a funny series of photos!
Poor chap, Stumpy, the acrobatic moves must be much more difficult without the tail.
Thank you for the great photos & Have a nice weekend! I hope you will find the hook... :)

Jeanna said...

That is just too funny! He is an agile little thing. I really wonder where the hook is....hmmm.

Vee said...

Oh he's probably guilty as sin, but he looks so cute!

Summer said...

LOL :) they're SO clever and cute! I have them hanging upside down from the bird feeder throwing seed down to the others waiting below :) lol

Jennifer said...

What a cheeky little feller! We don't have squirrels here, so we are very amused by their antics when we visit Canada. He's obviously squirreled that hook away somewhere......

Country Gal said...

What a cheeky thing he is . I bet it was raccoons that did it and he just happens to be in the one seen lol . Cute photos , Thanks for sharing , Have a good weekend !

Lorraine said...

He is quite distinguishable with that stubby tail! Glad you were able to catch some of his antics.

Janet said...

We call our tail-less squirrel "Bob". I don't think you are being slanderous suspecting him of stealing the hook. Although it might have just fallen to the ground and be hiding. That's what he'll claim anyway.

GailM. said...

Teehee. Those squirrels are so cheeky. Cute post.

Pamela Gordon said...

I'm guessing it was Stumpy. Or a crow. They like shiny things. Maybe the hook will show up once the snow is gone. I wonder what happened to Stumpy's tail.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Sneaky little critters squirrels are. From stealing bird food to digging up bulbs and redistributing them. :-) Usually when my feeders disappear it's the raccoons that have taken them and drag them to the back of the yard.
I hope you find the missing piece Linda.

Linda said...

Just realized you were gone from my reader! Dont know how that happened. I was wondering why I hadnt seen any posts during this horrible winter. Got some reading to do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...