STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Quilted iPad Case





Now that I have an iPad, I decided some sort of padded "case" might be a good idea for when I travel. A few years ago, our Guild had a workshop on a "Style File" (pattern by The Quilt Company in Allison Park PA) and then someone modified/re-sized it to fit an iPad. (thanks Gail M.) I have the iPad Mini, so mine is a bit smaller again. I wanted something which would also hold the charger cord, stylus and my camera memory card reader.



 It's a fairly quick and easy design and all I needed to purchase was a zipper. (Gotta love projects that use up "stash.")  There is a large pocket on the front for the charger cord, or "whatever", plus I added a small pocket to the inside of the zippered part, with Velcro across the top for security - this small pocket will hold my stylus and memory card reader. (see photo below)  I really liked the method of zipper application used in this pattern - very simple, even for an inexperienced sewist.







The back and the front pocket have a layer of fusible fleece and I have free motion quilted them with simple wavy lines in rayon threads, using a twin needle on the back, and single needle on the front.  Although the instructions did not require a third layer in the front piece, I added in a layer of  flannel and quilted it with a few wavy lines as well.  I trimmed and zigzagged the inner seams, but if one had a serger, that would work well too. It features a wrist strap, and I have added a zipper pull, which I made from perle cottons and rayon threads.








I do have a hard case on my iPad, but when travelling it will be good to have a bit more "protection" and all required cords etc. together. It seems that there are a lot of cords and chargers when one travels these days, so the more that are "corralled" in one place, the better!  Now that I've made one and worked out any kinks,  I have a plan in mind for another, in a different color way, and a different treatment on the front pocket - something very "me"....    :)
I hope you're having fun at your sewing machine. Have you made any small items lately?
Edit: You can see other quilted iPad cases I have done here and here.  

I am linking to the Sew Darn Crafty Linky Party at Sew Many Ways and Linky Tuesday at Freemotion by the River. Be sure and drop by to check out all the interesting links of projects.

Piece!
Linda

The road to confidence is paved by daily accomplishments.

14 comments:

Jeanna said...

Those are just my colors! I love this design, haven't seen it before. It is great to have the pockets to hold the chargers, stylus, etc.

Jennifer said...

Good idea......I have a smaller tablet which also has a hard case, but a padded case as well is, as you say, extra protection. Yours is lovely!

Kathy said...

You and your blues!!! Love em!

GailM. said...

Its nice. Love the batiks. I like that pattern. How was the fit. I think I did up those measurements for the mini. I usually make a regular size one for the guilds fundraiser. Nice that you added a pocket inside.

Linda H said...

Gail, I thought it was you who "re-sized" it for the iPad, but I wasn't sure. I'll edit and give you credit. I modified it a bit more to suit my purposes... Thank goodness I remembered to take some notes! haha

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I like it, especially the colour. I have a Coach padded case for my regular sized iPad but there are no pockets which would be nice to have.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh, I love it! I made a soft case for my net book but need to make one for hubby's IPAD! I love these pretty colors! Sweet hugs, Diane

Vee said...

Very nice idea and yours is especially attractive. Nice to include pockets for all the paraphernalia that goes along with everything fhese days.

MissesStitches said...

Nice case! I like how you modified it for your own needs.

handmade by amalia said...

Pretty and clever! I like the little pocket, so useful.
Amalia
xo

Carolien said...

Beautiful and very pratical! Love it!

Dutch greetings, Carolien

Country Gal said...

Very pretty and handy to ! Great job !

Laura said...

Pretty!

My Maine Blog said...

Oh Linda ... what an awesome idea and soooo beautiful. I love the color and it is ... as usual ... perfection. Oh how I wish I could sew ... I am all thumbs when it comes to sewing and a complete failure at it. You my dear sweet friend are sooooooo talented.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...