STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, March 13, 2015

On to the Serengeti

On to the Serengeti! I expect my January visit to Lion Country Safari will be the closest I'll ever get to seeing African animals "au naturel - in the wild" as I can't see myself ever journeying to Africa. I know, one should never say "Never"... but... just can't see it in my future... So I was lovin' every minute of this amazing "tour."
This area of the preserve is named for the well known east African Serengeti Plains, home to many species.







The Eland is the largest of the African antelopes; males can reach 6 feet at the shoulder. Both males and females have straight screw-like horns. A flap of loose skin called a "dewlap" hangs down on the Eland's neck, ending in a tuft of hair.














The Watusi is a cattle breed originally native to Africa (and you probably thought it was a dance!) They have large distinctive horns which can reach 8 feet, tip to tip. The Watusi have played an important role with many African tribes, providing food, currency and tribal status. I would not want to be on the receiving end of those horns, would you?




Some animals are just not that attractive, and the Wildebeest is one of those.... he is right up there with the Rhino who wouldn't win any beauty contests either. The Wildebeest, also known as the Gnu (pronounced "noo") is one of the more unusual members of the antelope family, with its broad shoulders and spindly legs. Wildebeest often graze in mixed herds with zebra. Their calves can keep up with the herd within a week of birth.





The Waterbuck is a large rather shaggy antelope, easily distinguished from behind by a white circle on its rump. Sadly, they wouldn't stand up and model their "target-like" behinds....











If you've been following this blog for very long you know I love to read. I've read quite a number of books set in Africa, in particular many by Wilbur Smith, so have often read of many of these animals, as well as Gemsbock, Springbok, Impala, Zebra and others. So seeing these animals, "up close and personal," close enough to almost touch, was such a thrill. I hope you are enjoying seeing them too. Stay tuned for more to come.... you won't want to miss the handsome zebra....


Peace,
Linda

"Be inspired by your journeys traveled and the ones yet to come." ~ Sam Clark

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Is it true that every zebra's markings are different, like fingerprints? Lots of horns in those photos........I think I'll stay out of their way!

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Beautiful photos, Linda!
The calm and handsome Waterbucks are my favourites, even though they refused to model. :)
Have a lovely weekend!

Country Gal said...

Wonderful post and photos ! Beautiful beasts all of them ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good weekend !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...