STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Mystery SOLVED!!!!





Thank you for all the kind birthday wishes! I had a great day and hope you did too, doing something you love, quilty or otherwise!  :)  
I am grateful for another trip around the sun....



One of the best gifts was a "mystery solved"... If you haven't read Chapter 1 of the "Stumpy" story, read it here before proceeding.. we'll wait for you...











Stumpy IS the thief!! I watched him with my own little eyes.. yes I'm older and so are my eyes, but they're still pretty sharp. Ollie and Hubby were here to witness it too - we watched our "darling little Stumpy" (ha!) shimmy down the one remaining hook, and  feast on the suet ball.















Then the little glutton decided he should haul it off to his lair where I can only assume the other hook and suet ball now reside... He flexed his little rodent muscles and yanked and pulled, trying to get the mesh bag off the hook.




When that didn't work, he thought "Well I'll just have to take the whole thing, just like last time" (yes, I could pretty much read his thoughts) so he continued tugging until he had freed the hook and all from the crook of the tree.


















I had been snapping photos up 'til this point, enjoying his acrobatics and gymnastic prowess, but as soon as he actually got it free (I could hardly believe my eyes!) I set down the camera and ran, hollering, out the deck door -"drop that hook you little thief!" He only took a few more steps in the snow before he gave it up and scurried up the next closest tree, and I'm fairly sure he was swearing at me in "Squirrel-speak". Don't kid yourself, I had a few choice words for him too... Soooo, I'm feeling pretty confident that my earlier accusation was correct, Stumpy is the thief. Now I just have to find his lair and retrieve the booty... the hunt is on!

Peace,
Linda

"Let us never know what old age is. Let us know the happiness time brings, not count the years."
~  Ausonius

12 comments:

Vee said...

Hahahahaha...was there ever any doubt? =D
Hope you find the missing one, too.

Jennifer said...

What a cunning little guy! I hope you find that nest and retrieve your property......the hide of that squirrel!

Material Girl said...

Hopefully, Stumpie does not have the range that bears do. They steal feeders too. They have even come up on my porch for the hummingbird feeders. As for the grey squirrels, they are not a destructive. A little red squirrel chewed on my beautiful wicker chairs last summer, ruined these beautiful and expensive rockers.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Great series of photos, Linda!
I can imagine you first admiring Stumpy's skills and then running out to scare him away. :)
I do the same, and I have noticed that if I run out yelling, the squirrels are not a bit scared, but if I sneak out and point a camera with a zoom lens at them, they become worried and vanish!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh my! A sneaky little critter! At least he wasn't the gigantic squirrel I just saw! lol Hugs, Diane

HollyM said...

I managed to miss the post about your birthday. Happy belated! And isn't it nice that you won the giveaway?

I also linked to the Quilt Show, mind you a bit late. Isn't it great? I watched a couple that were perfectly timely for me and my next project.

I may have to subscribe sometime.

Jeanna said...

This is great! So happy the mystery is solved...now to find the other hook.

Pamela Gordon said...

This is so funny Linda. Ol' Stumpy is the thief after all. It would be interesting to follow him now and find out where his home is so you'll have to keep watching and let us know.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

There's probably a family back at the lair sitting around the table waiting for the stash of food to come home with stumpy. :-)
This little guy has sure shown how determined a squirrel can be and the intelligence of some problem solving.
After watching the squirrels in our yard continuously being defeated with the squirrel proof feeders I use, next winter I will likely buy a feeder specifically for them. We do throw out peanuts in the shell on the deck so they don't starve.

Lorraine said...

A definite gymnast!

Sheryl said...

Lovely photos, great post, crafty thing.

Karen said...

Awesome photos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...