STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Lion Country Safari, Part 2

When Sandi suggested we spend a day at Lion Country Safari, I was quick to agree and immediately thought about the photos I might get. As I have already explained, one must remain in their vehicle at all times, with all windows closed when travelling  through the drive-through preserve. I took  my telephoto lens and hoped for the best. Being a cat lover, what I was most looking forward to was the lions. After all, I don't get many chances to get up close and personal with these big cats, living where I do!


As we came to the Gorongosa Reserve, we were both surprised to see that the lions were behind fencing, unlike the rest of the park; they were not fenced in when Sandi was last there. So you'll have to forgive the (unfocused) fencing in front of their faces. Despite it's annoying presence, (I'm sure it was there for good reason) I was pleased with the shots I was able to get....

Nice kitties...





The next area was the Gir Forest, named for a well known National Park in India. Here we saw the Kulan (also known as the Asian wild ass), the fastest equid, it can run up to 70km/hr for short periods of time. They are native to Turkmenistan.







The Blackbuck, a species of Indian antelope, is a beautiful animal. The male's ringed horns curl 3-4 times and are about 2 feet long.











The Asiatic Water Buffalo, true to their name, love the water, and spend a good deal of the time almost completely submerged in their pond.

Look at the size of their horns!!












Next up, we'll visit the Serengeti to see Eland, Watusi, Waterbuck and Wildebeest, and then we'll move on to the Rhino, Zebra and Giraffes.. I hope you'll continue on the safari with me.

Peace,
Linda

"If we kill off the wild, then we are killing a part of our souls." ~ Jane Goodall

7 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I loved seeing the photos of the majestic looking lions!

Jennifer said...

Nice kitties indeed.....lions are so regal! Their friends are interesting too.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Wonderful photos, Linda! Thank you for sharing!

Poppy said...

Hi Linda,

Wow, what amazing photos of these wild creatures! Yes, strange how the lions were fenced on your visit, wonder why. In any event, you got a chance to see all of these animals up close and I'm sure it was an adventure to remember!

Poppy

Sandi Mac said...

What a great day that was!!! Perfect conditions. Went and said hello to the beasts again yesterday!!

Vee said...

Beautiful horns all! Elegant really. You did exceptionally well with the lions given your limitations and theirs.

Pamela Gordon said...

I wonder if someone was injured by a lion when they were allowed to roam freely and therefore they were fenced in. Kind of sad. You got some beautiful photos of them even through the fence. It would be wonderful to see all these beautiful creatures.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...