STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, March 16, 2015

Bird Crazy for Mosaic Monday...








If you've been visiting this past week, you've had the opportunity to tour Lion Country Safari near West Palm Beach, Florida, with me. I hope you've enjoyed all the animals; I certainly enjoyed the photography, despite its limitations! Today, how about a little more colour?!

In the Walk-Through Safari Park, among other attractions, there are many birds, and many of them were brightly coloured- what a treat for the eyes!







Who doesn't love seeing Flamingos? Their salmon pink plumage is so beautiful. Did you know their colouring is because of the carotenoid pigments in the food they eat? A flamingo's colouring will fade to white if they don't get the proper food. And did you know flamingos mate only once every 2-3 years, and typically lay only one egg? We passed their pond several times... I could have stood there the entire day, watching them preen, and preen, and preen....









The Sarus Crane is an endangered species, native to India. It is the tallest flying bird, growing as tall as 6 feet. Males and females bond for life and share in raising their young.
(Check out the Black Spider Monkey trying to photobomb in the background...)





The White Ibis is seen quite frequently in Florida. Unlike many water birds which use their keen eyesight to locate their prey, the Ibis is a "tactile non-visual forager" which means he probes around with his long beak to feel for and capture his prey.








This little fellow was a visitor, I'm sure. He landed on a tree next to me and stayed long enough for a few quick shots, then flew off. I think he's a Red-Bellied Woodpecker. (I know, I know, he has a red head not a red belly. But that's what my trusty bird book calls him and who am I to argue with Roger Tory Peterson?) If I am wrong, please let me know.










The East African Crown Crane is a very distinctive bird - who could miss his headgear?! They are known for their frequent and exuberant dancing displays. Sadly this one didn't treat us to a performance.











There were several opportunities for "animal encounters" and one was a Lorie and Lorikeet feeding station. There were several different kinds of lorikeets, which are native to southeastern Asia, Polynesia and Australia. They are small to medium arboreal parrots, equipped with specialized tongues for feeding on nectar and soft-fleshed fruits. Their bright plumage was so tropical-looking!















As we entered the enclosure, a father and two of the cutest little boys were feeding them. The boys were so excited that real live birds were landing on them and feeding from the little containers of nectar they were holding. So cute to watch!



















Lastly we came to the Macaws. I've had a healthy respect for Macaws since I was introduced to them at age 7 on my first trip to Florida. We visited Parrot Jungle and I was persuaded to "pose" with parrots for a picture. I can still feel their sharp claws digging into my shoulders. It was all I could do to keep from crying....  Well I'm proud to say I didn't cry with this encounter either... haha. But I didn't let their claws near my shoulders or any other part of me, either...










The Scarlet Macaws are one of the most beautiful members of the parrot family with their red, yellow and blue feathers, and they're one of the largest Neotropical parrots. They have wide strong wings and can reach flight speeds of 35 miles an hour. While we were watching these birds, one of the staff came along with a number of brown paper bags which she proceeded to tie to their fences. We asked what was in the bags and she replied "toys". She could hardly get them tied in place, the macaws were so anxious to get at them. They had them shredded in no time, to reveal large pinecones inside...










The Blue and Yellow Macaws are equally handsome with their vivid plumage. Of course, being a blue lover, I was just a bit partial to this fellow. Macaws form strong pair bonds and mate for life. They will also form strong bonds with humans. They are intelligent and can learn tricks, and can be taught to talk.













I am linking to Mosaic Monday. Be sure and stop by.

Peace,
Linda

Two birds never sing the same song,

30 comments:

Stephanie said...

What beautiful birds, Linda! And I love how different and unique each one is.

Have a lovely Monday!

Pat said...

Lovely photos...the flamingos are beautiful.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Hello, Linda!
The different species of parrots are the stars of the show tonight. They have so beautiful colouring it seems almost unreal.
Thank you for the lovely photos & Have a nice new week!
PS Your Irish header is wonderful!

Dolores said...

Gorgeous birds. Wonderful colour and my fav of all time, the flamingoes.
Thank you for the treat.

sandy said...

Oh..i love this post - such beautiful flamingos!.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I enjoyed the vivid colours of the flamingos, usually they look washed out when I photograph them. I wonder if time of year or location has anything to do with this?
The parrots and visiting woodpecker make for good photo subjects too.
Thanks for linking to MM Linda.

Charlene N. K. said...

What an amazing collection of beautiful & colorful birds! I enjoyed watching all of them.

Vee said...

What colors! Really pretty birds and I did not know many of the things you shared. My daughter has a friend who suffered permanent hearing loss as the result of a tropical bird screaming in her ear. I don't know why I shared except that I find it fascinating. Ha!

sunny said...

Oh my gosh - how beautiful. Thanks for sharing your pictures!!

Joyful said...

Beautiful!

I see you are also featuring rhinos and zebras. Beautiful creatures, aren't they?

You can find my flamingo posts by checking out

http://www.snapthatpenny.blogspot.ca/2015/03/pink-flamingoes-enjoy-lake.html

and

http://www.snapthatpenny.blogspot.ca/2015/03/nature-reserve.html

Thank you for your interest.

Jennifer said...

I like that blue and yellow macaw too! We have rainbow lorikeets here, they eat the leaves of the we-think-it-could-be-an-apricot-tree in our yard.....must be some fruity sweetness in those leaves, we think.

psychelyn said...

Omg the colors of these birds are so amazing. I have fllen in love with them. I think people, especially children should be seeing more of thses besuties so in a way they/we become more aware of protecting them (if we can) from extinction.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What exotic birds and you took such amazing photos! Looks like you had some sunny days while you were in Florida. It got hot in a hurry this year. We saw our first 90 degree day yesterday! Sweet hugs, Diane

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

I just adore the colors of the flamingo....

ClickNCamera said...

Simply lovely shots of these birds!

Pamela Gordon said...

These are all such beautiful birds Linda. It's amazing to see so many different ones in size and colour. Nature is wonderful.

2dogs2luv said...

your photos are wonderful; thanks for sharing.

Antiques And Teacups said...

I just love your photos! What a box of jewels! Isn't creation amazing! And the photos are just beautiful!
Ruth

Anonymous said...

sehr schön!
Pippa

Rajesh said...

Beautiful and colorful birds. You have captured them nicely.

Life Images by Jill said...

The colour of those flamingo's is amazing. And of course I love the lorikeets - very much like our parrots over here. Such colourful birds.
Have a great week and thank you for stopping by my blog this week.

Forest Dream Weaver said...

Beautiful series.....love colours!

Sheila said...

Some award winning photos here Linda , beautiful birds !

Sylvia said...

Linda, What a great collection of bird photos. I have a challenge with birds because they usually don't sit still. This environment must have been nicer as they are used to people. Sylvia

Linda said...

Linda, what gorgeous birds!!!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a beautiful colorful bird filled post... I love every picture. Here we spend every snowbird season in florida for the past eight years and I didn't know about this place! It goes on my 'must visit" list today! Thanks for sharing. The whole post just makes me smile... I could never pick a favorite.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh and PS I'm pretty sure you are right on the woodpecker ID. Fun that a wild visitor flew in!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Enjoyed seeing your photos of the beautiful birds - thanks for sharing. I remember a trip to the Parrot Jungle, and there is a pic somewhere of several of them perched on my arms for picture taking.

Lee said...

The vivid colours of these birds are just what I needed as I sit here looking out at huge white snowbanks and grey skies.

Poppy said...

Hi Linda,

WOW!! What gorgeous birds, every one of them with their own pretty plumage! They're so bright and out-of-this-world, that they could easily be protagonists in an animated feature!

Thanks for sharing!

Poppy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...