STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, December 5, 2014

It's a Good Day...

photo from www.measha,com
Last night I had the privilege of attending a local (sold out) concert by Measha Brueggergosman. All I can say is WOW! She has a new Christmas album out and part of the concert was Christmas music, with a smattering of other music as well. Her rich tone, her tremendous vocal range,  her command of the stage, her incredible band (Aaron Davis on keyboards, in
photo from www.measha.com
particular) all combined for an awesome evening. I can't sum it up any better than this paragraph from the programme: "One of the most significant sopranos performing today, Fredericton's own Measha Brueggergosman is critically acclaimed as much for her innate musicianship and voluptuous voice as for her strong stage presence far beyond her years. Brueggergosman has performed with some of the world's most celebrated orchestras and has carried her own solo shows in major venues around the world, repeatedly breaking the stereotype of an opera diva, and standing apart as a fresh and youthful ambassador for classical music."
It's been quite a while since I've seen Measha perform live, and I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but let me tell you, she did not disappoint. She is on the eastern Canada leg of her Christmas Tour now, so if she is coming to a venue near you, and tickets are still available, run, don't walk- give yourself a Christmas treat, and attend her performance. You can see her tour schedule here.
I still love Measha's duet with David Myles, "Whole to my Half", I think it will always be a favourite. You can listen to it here. Fredericton is so very proud of these two "home town kids"...    :)


A few days ago I promised to show you a surprise I got in the mail this week- As a thank-you for being a hostess in this year's Blogathon Canada, I received a Fat Quarter bundle from Sew Sisters of Toronto and a "six pack" of thread from sponsor Aurifil. What a lovely gift, and a complete surprise! Don't you just love it when the doorbell rings and you see the mailman standing there with a parcel for you?! Thanks Sew Sisters and Aurifil!! You're the BEST!

Other great news to share today: dear son Mark just got his first "real job"! (Insert big WHOOP!! here) Today is the final day of his six month clinical practicum for Medical Lab Technologist, and he just secured a job at our local hospital, starting Monday morning!! Guess he won't be sleeping in on Monday, as he thought... lol


Darling daughter Laura also is now working. She is in Ontario, and has been job-hunting all fall. She started working three weeks ago for an online travel agency, in their head office in Hamilton. She is their SEO copywriter with duties including writing copy, managing and creating marketing campaigns and contests, social media work, SEO (that's Search Engine Optimization) and analytics, and writing blog posts for TripSense. So far, she loves it!  (another Big Whoop!!) Although she feels there is a big learning curve for the business aspect of things, I assured her this is common with any new job. Check out her company at www.tripcentral.ca. I am so proud of both of them!!

The sun is shining brightly today, although it's very nippy out there... -11°C at the moment. I plan on spending the afternoon sewing, trying to get some Christmas sewing finished up... Can't show you any photos, as a certain someone might see... wink   Can't say who that would be but that might be her on the left... lol
While I'm sewing, I'll be singing.. still some work to be done on this Sunday's concert repertoire...

Peace,
Linda

Music is my escape. It silences the world and my worries.

7 comments:

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I will keep an eye out for Measha in concert in the future.
That was nice to receive a parcel for hosting part of the eastern quilt event.
Congrats to both of your children, that was quick for your son to start work.

Jennifer said...

Congratulations to your children on doing well......doesn't matter how old they are, our kids are always our kids and we still worry about them, don't we? What a great surprise parcel! Don't know if Measha has been to Australia, but I will keep an eye out if she does come.

Pamela Gordon said...

I saw Meesha on Canada AM the other morning. She is such a beautiful singer and person too! Comes from a wonderful family. Congrats to your kids on their new jobs. That's exciting for all. It makes us feel accomplished when our kids are 'maturing' and on their own successfully. Have a great weekend.

Vee said...

Nothing like a live concert at Christmastime. Yay for kids with jobs...always good, and not always easy to come by these days.

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

It's a Wonderful Day...
So nice to hear the great news, Linda!
I don't know how you wish good luck before a concert in Canada... I hope "May you break your leg!" is appropriate. :)
I'm sure the concert will be lovely!

Lori E said...

How beautiful. Wow. Amazing voices.
Great news on the kids. Sounds like a big step for both of them.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I've never listened to her music but I'll follow the links. Sounds like your family is enjoying some good news, too. I know you are proud! Enjoy your weekend my friend! Holiday hugs, Diane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...