STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

December... already!

It's a rather nasty day weather-wise, here in Freddy Beach. We had snow overnight, and as the temps have risen we've had more than a few hours of freezing rain. I had to cancel my class that was scheduled for today. I hate doing that, because it's so hard to re-schedule, especially at this time of year when everyone is so busy. But with two of the ladies living outside of town, I knew their drive in would not be easy, so better to be safe. I would not want to feel responsible for someone ending up in the ditch, or worse. So I'm spending the day catching up on emails, laundry, and a little decorating.
I have been doing some sewing, but since it is all for gifts, I can only show you one small project which has already been sent and received. You will see the others, you'll just have to be patient... wink
My friend Kathleen in Maine burned her hand very badly a few weeks ago so has been trying to negotiate life with her hand all wrapped up in bandages (see her photo here). What a pain, especially at this time of year. I know how frustrating it can be, as I was somewhat "out of commission" a few years ago at Christmas with a shoulder injury. So I thought perhaps a pair of Mug Rugs made in Christmas fabrics might cheer her up. She received them yesterday and was so happy with them. She said they really brightened her day, which was my sole intention!  :)  (Tomorrow I'll show you the special surprise I received in the mail this week.)
I have made some other mug rugs too, but sent them off to DD Laura and forgot about a photo until they were in the mail. With the placemats I've made lately, there is always a strip of leftover Stiff Stuff, about 3-4" wide - not really enough to do much with. So I've been cutting the leftovers up and zigzagging them together, then using them for the base of the Mug Rugs. Works perfectly, and you can't tell there's a seam there. I did Laura's pair with the fabric strips running crosswise instead of lengthwise, and this pair with the fabric strips running diagonally. I think I like them the best! It's a quick and easy gift, and a great way to use up odds and ends of Christmas (or any) fabrics.
Before you go- why not pop by Kathy's blog and say Hello, and wish her a speedy recovery? I'm sure she'd love to hear from you.

Peace,
Linda

Life is a boomerang. What you give, you get.

9 comments:

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Too bad you had to cancel your class Linda. The Christmas mug rugs are sweet and I think they're much nicer than coasters that we've been using for years.

JanetD said...

The mug rugs are very cute, I like the diagonal setting too. It's been quite cold here, but no freezing rain thankfully. It was very thoughtful of you to consider the out of town ladies driving in it.

Pamela Gordon said...

Wasn't that a miserable day? It's misty rain out there right now then it's going to freeze again. The morning will be interesting I'm sure. I like the mug rugs you made for Kathy and read her post about them. They are sweet! Enjoy your evening. Do you have your tree up?

Jennifer said...

What a nifty idea for mug rugs! I can't imagine freezing rain - don't think I have ever experienced it, but I'm quite familiar with hot dry dusty wind.

Lin said...

The diagonal piecing on the mug rugs looks great and a lovely gift for Kathy. xx

Sara - Villa Emilia said...

Hello Linda
The mug rugs look so beautiful and Christmassy. I too think the diagonal setting is probably the most elegant (but perhaps it depends on the fabrics used too).
What a pity you needed to cancel your class, but it was thoughtful of you, in the circumstances!

Lorraine said...

I'm seeing mug rugs pop up all over these days. Yours are sure to bring a smile to Laura's face :) Disappointing about your class cancellation but sounds as if it was a good thing in terms of weather..

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love mug rugs and need to get busy and make some for the holidays. They work so well when I snack or eat lunch in the lanai. Love these bright colors! Take care and stay safe and warm! Hugs, Diane

Sheryl said...

Beautiful mug rugs, must get making some and use up my odds and ends of fabric.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...