STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, May 23, 2014

The Best Laid Plans....

You know the saying..  "The best laid plans o' mice an' men gang aft a-gley"  meaning no matter how carefully you prepare and plan for something, things can (and often do) go wrong. Well that seems to be the case here lately.
Issue #1,  camera problems. Since my fall in Prague last July when both my camera and I crashed to the cobblestones, I've been worried that the crack in the camera body would eventually be an issue. This week that worry re-surfaced when I seem to have lost all photos taken in the last few days. This would include better photos of my recently completed blue quilt before I gave it away, and all photos from our Guild closing meeting with Show and Tell and 2014 Challenge. When I went to load them to the computer on Wednesday, it said "No Images". There appeared to be nothing on the memory card. So I took a few test photos- they appeared on the camera screen, but were not "saving" to the card. And when I tried to load them to the computer, again - No Images. Great! Just great! (actually I was thinking something a little stronger than that...) So, I'm just back from visiting my go-to guy at the camera shop, with new memory card in hand. He thinks it's an issue with the card, not the camera. I hope he's right. The next few days will tell the tale. Hopefully they will be able to retrieve this week's photos from the defective card. This is my second if not third time now with a defective card. If there's a defective card in the lot, it's the one I pick, it seems...
Issue #2, my miniature quilt. I was hoping to have it finished for Tuesday night's meeting. It didn't happen. I want to add a narrow corded piping to my binding, with the use of a new-to-me tool by Susan Cleveland. To make the corded piping she suggests the use of either a grooved pintuck foot or a zipper foot. Well the 7 groove foot I have was not large enough for the cording, and the zipper foot did not get close enough to satisfy me. So it's not done yet. Thank goodness for good friends who are also Bernina owners. My friend Carole has loaned me her 3 groove and her 5 groove feet, so surely one of those two will do the trick. Stay tuned....
Issue #3, Life! Sometimes life throws you a curve ball or two. I'm juggling a lot right now, and blogging has had to take a backseat. That will likely continue for a few more weeks so just be patient with my probable sporadic posting. Some days I feel like I'm having a hard time keeping all balls in the air....

If you've hung in there to read this far, how about a yummy recipe as a reward? I'm sorry I don't have a photo (it's among those lost this week, and of course the squares are long gone), you'll just have to trust me that these squares are SO delicious - you definitely will want to add them to your "Yummy Squares" list!! (EDIT: the photos have been retrieved!) I got the recipe from my friend Anne in New Glasgow, NS so I'm calling them Anne's Squares. (She calls them Mom's Funeral Squares, as they were her Mom's go-to recipe when she had to make sweets for a funeral reception at her church.)

Anne's Squares

Base and Topping:
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
1/2 cup toasted coconut
1/2 cup melted butter
Mix all dry ingredients together, then add melted butter, mix well. Reserve 1/3 of crumb mixture for topping, place remaining 2/3 of mixture in greased 8"x8" pan, pat down well.

Filling:
1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
grated zest of 1 lemon
Mix together- it will seem very "runny" at first but will thicken up with stirring. Spread over base, top with reserved crumbs and pat down gently. Bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes, until lightly browned - no more than 25 minutes, Anne advises.

Trust me- these are SO GOOD!!!!

Peace,
Linda

“Changes are inevitable and not always controllable. What can be controlled is how you manage, react to and work through the change process.”   ~ Kelly A. Morgan


8 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

Well the memory card problems is maddening for sure. (somewhat like my own 'memory' lately!) I hope the new card works. The recipe for the squares sounds very good so I'll copy it down and try them soon. The original name is really great though. Don't we all have our go to 'funeral squares' recipes? I hope things smooth out for you soon Linda. Take care. Pam

Anne Mattie said...

Glad you enjoyed the Funeral Squares Linda!! I am just working on the16th mini log cabin block. I tossed a few at the start and now I am quite pleased with how they look. Will send a photo at the end of the process. I love the challenge of working accurately! Best wishes.

Lee said...

Your camera problems sound soooo frustrating! Hearkens back to the days when you could "take" a whole roll of film at an event then open the camera back to discover that you hadn't successfully engaged the film leader so it hadn't been advancing at all. Boo hoo!

Those squares sound yummy - how could a can of sweetened condensed milk go wrong? For the less experienced, what are the directions to toast the coconut and nuts?

Linda H said...

Lee, I simply spread coconut or nuts on a cookie sheet and toast under the broiler until lightly browned.. Watch carefully so they don't over-brown or burn. Coconut smells like skunk when it burns...

Lee said...

Experience on that skunk smell, eh Linda?!

Linda H said...

Yep, only burned it once! That was enough. Smelled exactly like skunk and the smell went through the whole house...

Gwen Buchanan said...

Ohhh sorry about the camera troubles. Thins like that Always happens when your super busy.

I want to try your recipe as soon as I get some sweetened condensed milk. I have never used it.

All the best for the concert.

Vee said...

Oh that is a lot of juggling. Sometimes, when there are too many balls on the air or too many spinning plates, it's good to stop the madness. Call Pam! You probably could both use tea time in St. Andrews or something.

Pictures being lost is a serious affront. I hope that things work out for retrieval.

The concert sounds wonderful! Wish I could be there.

Oh dear. That was the first lily beetle I have seen and I didn't see it until I uploaded the pic. I'll be on the lookout now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...