STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Saturday, May 10, 2014

May Personal Photo Challenge - Colourful!




The weeks fly by quickly and it's time again for
Donna's Personal Photo Challenge. Donna asks us to share up to three photos on a theme and this month's topic is Colourful! Well we're not seeing a great deal of colour yet here. Spring has been very slow to arrive and things are just starting to green up. Not much is blooming yet.. And you know me - the gardener in me is just dying to get out and play in the dirt. At this time of year when I hear the word "colourful", I'm thinking of garden shots...




So here is my first, taken a few years ago at Corn Hill Nursery near Sussex. I always try to visit Corn Hill in June when the roses and peonies are in bloom. This photo is "as is" out of the camera, no boosting of color, and just a touch of sharpening. Mother Nature's colouring at its finest!










This photo was taken at Bathtub Beach on Hutchinson Island, FL in January. I have cropped,  boosted the colour saturation just a bit and warmed up the temperature slightly, as well as adjusting the exposure a bit. I think it improved a ho-hum photo somewhat.










 My last choice I have chosen for its simplicity, and I love the soft colour! Taken on my kitchen counter in natural light from the window, I have altered it very little, just a slight sharpening and a slight increase in shadows and contrast.

I hope you'll drop by Donna's blog here to see other colourful images today!  Thanks Donna for another great Photo Challenge!

Peace,
Linda

"Color in a picture is like enthusiasm in life." ~ Vincent Van Gogh

17 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

Hi Linda. Nice rainy day eh? I like all 3 of your photos. Flowers are a perfect choice as they bring the most colour to our world. I've never been to Corn Hill for their Rose week. I should attempt my next visit at that time as it would be worth it.

Vee said...

Lovely photos and if that second one was ever "ho hum" it certainly isn't now.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Bathtub beach...sounds wonderful! Love your photos for the challenge my friend! I started reading Wild today....perfect for this weekend! I'm already into it enough that I don't want to put it down! It's GOOD! You knew I would like it! Happy Mother's day my friend! Hugs!

Angela said...

That boost of saturation did make the seagull photo vibrant. It's funny how water can sometimes feel a bit bland, but this shot really does stand out as colourful!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Looking at the beach photo, the water looks cold, must be the waves. The flowers are both colourful and you captured their beauty well.

ellen b said...

Lovely color. I hope you see some fresh color in your corner of the world soon!

podso said...

I love the colorful photos. Especially the first. Wow.

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Wonderful Linda!
The first one is amazing - great photography skills when you didn't even need to tuttu with it!!!

Cheryl said...

All of your photos are lovely, Linda, and certainly showcase color! I do love the simplicity of the last shot.

Spring is coming! Take heart! :)

Lorrie said...

Hello Linda. These are wonderful photos showing colour from intense to soft. The gull really shows up against the blue ocean. Love the pale pink tulips and other flowers, too. Have a wonderful weekend. Happy Mother's Day.

bj said...

Such beautiful photos and colors.
What a fun party this is.....
xo

eileeninmd said...

Great choices for the color challenge.. What an interesting name for the beach.. Love the gull and the beautiful flowers.. Wishing you a HAPPY Mother's day and week ahead!

Lorraine said...

Lovely photos Linda! Happy Mother's Day.

Jeito Mineiro de Ser said...

Belas fotos! Gostei como você realçou ligeiramente o colorido original. Parabéns!
Um abraço!
Beautiful pictures! I liked how you pointed out the original slightly colored. Congratulations!
Hugs!
Egléa

Nancy Vance said...

All these are just lovely, but my favorite is the last. Tulips are indeed delightful, and your focus on this one is perfect. It's a framer if you ask me!

Annie said...


Lovely photos Linda.

I do enjoy catching up on your blog, you do such wonderful quilting.

And thank you for your comments on my humble offerings this month's challenge.



Donna said...

The soft, diffused light really brought out the saturation of the colors in the first and third photos. I prefer to shoot flowers on overcast days, in fact! And the seascape photo is a fun one. I think that seagull was looking to beg some food, LOL. You did a lovely job on this challenge!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...