STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, February 10, 2014

Another Book Finish

If you are looking for my Grow Your Blog post, you will find it here.

It seems I have lost my blogging Mojo for a bit. We have had several stressful situations going on here, and blogging has taken a backseat. What can I say? "Life happens"... We have just lost a very dear friend to cancer; she has been in hospital for a month and passed away yesterday. Other things going on too which I won't go into, but just felt I needed to give you an idea why I haven't been "here" much the last few weeks.

That being said, here's a short book review of Saving CeeCee Honeycutt  which I finished a few weeks ago. It was the perfect book for the plane to and from Florida, short and sweet, and didn't require deep concentration! This is Beth Hoffman's debut novel which has appeared on several bestseller lists including that of the New York Times. It is the story of  twelve year old Cecilia (CeeCee) who is trying her best to cope with her mother's descent into mental illness in a small Ohio town. She is embarrassed by her mother's strange behaviors and manner of dressing and since her father has pretty much abandoned them both, has no one to turn to other than an elderly neighbour. After her mother's sudden and tragic death, her father ships her off to live with her Great Aunt Tootie in Savanna Georgia. What follows is a bittersweet tale, sad yet funny at the same time. CeeCee learns to love Great Aunt Tootie and her black cook Oletta, as well as a number of "eccentric" (bordering on "wacky") neighbours. She is wrapped in the loving arms of these women who nurture her and show her that life does indeed have promise and hope. The characters are rich, strong, and unforgettable! The descriptions of southern Savannah are well done and so easy to visualize. Sprinkled throughout the book are quotable quotes and words of wisdom. Here are two of my favourites: "It's what we believe about ourselves that determines how others see us."  and "I felt the flutter of a page turn deep within me as a chapter in my Life Book came to a close." If you have enjoyed "Southern stories" like The Help or The Secret Life of Bees, you will enjoy this book too. And it will stay with you for a while... 

Peace,
Linda

If life didn't get in the way, I would read all day...

6 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

This book sounds wonderful, Linda and as you were relating the storyline I was thinking of the book, The Secret Life of Bees, which I loved. Thinking of you and your stressful situations. Pam

Country Gal said...

Sounds like a good read . I will have to look for it ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good week !

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm sorry you've been going through some hard things and for the loss of your friend. I've had a tough month and know how you feel. This is one of my favorite books and I love many of the quotes, too. I need to write some down in my journal. I hope you have a good week my friend! Hugs!

Lori E said...

I totally understand the loss of the blogging mojo. Life jumps up and interrupts us and sometimes it isn't stuff we want to blog about so we write nothing.
I asked for a tablet/E-reader for Christmas and since then have finished reading 6 books. Two I bought online and 4 I have downloaded free from the library.
I had hardly read in the last four or five years and now know how much I missed it.
I will have a look for this one. Thanks for the review.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Blogging does have to take a back seat sometimes and I offer sympathy on the loss of your friend Linda.
From your review, I think I will like this book as I enjoyed the other two.
I hope your other issues will be worked out soon.
Judith

Jeanna said...

So sorry for your loss Linda. I really hate the "C" word, as you know! I pray for peace for you and everyone touched by your friend.

Thanks for the book review, sounds like a good one. Sometimes we need those easy but entertaining reads.

Love your blog header too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...