STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, December 13, 2013

December Photo Challenge - Let There Be Light

This month's theme for Donna's Personal Photo Challenge is Light - "Let There Be Light". I have been so busy with Christmas preparations I didn't think I'd find time to participate. You know what it's like in December - too may things to get done and never enough time... I always feel "behind"...
But I couldn't bear not taking part in the fun, so I decided even if I didn't have new photos to share, surely I could dive into the archives and find a few photos which would be worthy of sharing... Here's what I came up with.

This first one is a favourite winter shot (you can see I've used it in my December header.) It was taken on Christmas Eve morning two years ago in Odell Park, a park here in our city popular with walkers and cross-country skiers. It was a crisp cold morning after a fresh snowfall, a beautiful sunny blue sky day. The sun was not yet too high in the sky, making for nice long blue shadows. Although I have some lens flare in the upper part of the photo, I rather like it. What do you think? Would it be a better photo without the flare? I love the sidelighting on the snow on the little bridge. I think the sidelighting from the winter sun really "makes" this photo.... The scene would not have looked the same at all on a cloudy day.


Exposure: 1/250 sec.
Aperture f/8.0
Focal length 26.3mm
ISO 100


This next photo was taken in my backyard last January. We have a fence behind a long angled perennial bed and I love the shadows we get through that fence during the winter. I have taken a number of photos over several winters of the shadows being cast across the snow. Depending on how the wind has drifted the snow between the house and the fence, sometimes I get some pretty "wonky" lines. This is far from a prefect photo - I probably should have angled the camera up a bit to get more of the fence boards - but I do like "the shadow lines". Again the sun was low enough in the sky to pick up a little sparkle in the snow which makes it a bit more interesting too... 

Exposure 1/350 sec.
Aperture f/8.0
Focal length 93mm.
ISO 100

My last photo is an indoor shot of my faithful companion Oliver. He is a sun worshipper in the winter, following the sun around the house and basking in its warmth. His favourite spot is in the family room in the afternoon as the windows face south and there is often sunshine for most of the afternoon. Here I caught him with just a portion of his face lit by the afternoon sun. I love how it shows up the detail of his fur and his beautiful light green eyes. It is perhaps more interesting than if his whole face was "fully exposed". 


Exposure 1/60 sec.
Aperture f/5.6
Focal length 50mm.
ISO 100



All photos were taken with my Pentax K20D.

Please visit Donna's Challenge here to see what other participants have done this month with the challenge.

Peace,
Linda

"The light in winter is most varied; there are days when it's clear and bright, carving the earth into light and shadow like a razor. Yet, at times, the light can be soft and quiet as a whisper...."
~ Peter Fiore 

20 comments:

Vee said...

Bet you can guess which is my favorite! He is adorable.

That said, the other photos are wonderful. I happen to agree with you on the lens flare. It adds a little something special. And those fence line shadows in the snow...wonderful. I can see why they'd become a regular prop in winter!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

All your photos are nice Linda and I do like the bridge, with the sun flare in it.
A note card worthy shot of Oliver.

Annie said...

Wow...love your photos!
Fantastic for the challenge on Light this month. I knew I would find some nice snow somewhere.
A bit cooler there than in Australia here!
Love that bridge photo! Very lovely.

Donna said...

Oh my word! I'm a sucker for Kitties!Hahaa...lovely shot!
And what a super shot of the snowy bridge!! Love them all!
hughugs

Anonymous said...

Linda, your picture of the sun shining through your backyard fence onto the snow is great. Then I happened upon the picture of Oliver. What more can I say! He is a handsome boy for sure. Lucy

Donna said...

These are all so lovely! Isn't it wonderful to take snow photos and get those long shadows, thanks to the sun being low in the horizon? You won't have any trouble with the next challenge (shadow play)! And my favorite is the one of your kitty. The spotlight effect is terrific and it highlights the texture of its fur so nicely. Well done!

Jeanne said...

Ohhhh Lovin' the Meow Man
Beautiful pictures.

Lee said...

Agree with all before me. I also like the fleck of light in Oliver's in-shadow eye because of the depth it suggests in the photo. Interesting thing to remember when we do representational quilts.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The fence with the shadows on the snow is breathtaking. You take such good photos of the snow...it must be a challenge in itself. Very beautiful!

Pamela Gordon said...

Linda, you found some beautiful photos for the challenge. I love the Odell Park bridge. I remember that big storm on the 22nd too. Tomorrow's will be similar. The fence shadow is so nice with the sparkly snow. Oliver is looking very handsome with the sun on his face. Great shot!

Nancy Vance said...

Your photos are lovely! The one of your pretty kitty is especially nice. I like that you can't see all of his face. It leaves a little mystery - perfect for a cat, don't you think?

Wendy said...

Great photos Linda! The fence shadow is striking, love the footpath bridge and the sun glare really makes that shot, but of course my favourite is Oliver, absolutely perfect!
Well done, and Merry Christmas.

Unknown said...

That snow shot is great. New idea to my learning album for photography. Great job.

Cheryl said...

Oh, these photos are gorgeous...every one! You have showcased winter beauty by your use of light. And the kitty? I'm melting...

Cristal @ Dapple Design said...

Hi Linda,
Thanks for your comment. The photo challenge was a lot of fun and I might be back from time to time.

Your winter shadow shots are lovely. The first one, of the bridge, looks like a December calendar photo to me. I don't think I've ever seen that much snow!

ruthi said...

Oh I love that photo of the bridge, so gorgeous.

Lorrie said...

The fence lines on the snow are so crisp and clear - a really dramatic shot. Wonderful images of light.

Jeanna said...

Absolutely beautiful photos Linda! And how sweet is Oliver?

Shane Pollard said...

I admired the bridge image on your header as soon as I opened your blog!!
It's a brilliant example of light.
The pussycat is wonderful too!!

ClickNCamera said...

Perfection! The last shot with the light on the kitty's face is outstanding...enjoy your day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...