STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, October 21, 2013

Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival

This past week was the Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival in Amherst and I was happy to get there for a day. There are different things going on each day so one has to make choices... never easy. I chose to go Friday to take in the Zonta Fibre Bazaar and two quilt shows as well as the other exhibits which were on all week (Fibre Art Walking Tour, hooked rug displays, etc.). I had originally hoped to stay over for Saturday but that didn't work out. And Mother Nature gave us a rainy day on Friday, but I didn't let that slow me down.
My first stop was to the new quilt shop in town, Mrs. Pugsley's Emporium. Yes, I have my priorities straight - shop FIRST!! I have eagerly been watching and listening to my friend Karen talk about this shop and all the exciting preparations to get it open. How exciting to finally walk through the door and meet owner Beth. It's a great little shop and I look forward to returning again when I am passing by.
Next a stop in to Deanne Fitzpatrick's Studio. Deanne is  a well known rug hooker and her shop is always a riot of color and fibre. I resisted all temptation there but it wasn't easy... Then further down the street was the Zonta Bazaar. This is an awesome collection of vendors with "all things fibre" that your little heart could desire. The festival brochure described it as a "dazzling fibre arts shopping extravaganza" and dazzling it was!!! Did I take photos? Sadly, no. (I  really wanted to!)
There were many artists there with original works and often they do not want photos taken so I "didn't go there". You'll just have to believe me regarding its awesomeness. There was lots of yarn, much of it hand-dyed and hand spun, wool fabric for the hookers, cottons for the quilters,  knit goods, tatting, jewellry, a great variety of original fibre art and much more. I treated myself to a wonderful needlefelted mixed media piece by textile artist Alison Murphy of Hampton N.B. Click on the link to see more of her wonderful pieces. I know I'm going to be looking for her work next time I'm in Saint John, at Handworks Gallery on King Street.
There were two Quilt Shows set up in churches side by side - perfect for the rainy weather- you could almost dash between the raindrops from one to the other. The Cumberland Quilters Guild Show was in First Baptist Church, with quilts beautifully displayed over the pews and hung from the balcony. This always proves a challenge for photography though - it's difficult to get a good photo of an individual quilt. So just enjoy the "group" shots... There is something about quilts in a church sanctuary.. so beautiful...








 The second show was in the smaller Christ Church and it was just as beautiful. At this show we were asked to pick our favourite for Viewer's Choice. Arrggghhhh! It is SO difficult to choose just one! I did of course, but there are always at least three more that I would like to vote for as well... I wonder which one won? These quilts were draped over two pews so it was possible to get a slightly better photo of individual quilts. Ya hafta work with what ya've got....








That's a brief look at another wonderful Fibre Fest in Awesome Amherst. This was the sixth annual. I'm already looking forward to number seven. Mark your calendars now- it's always the Tuesday through Saturday following Thanksgiving weekend. Watch these Youtube videos if you need a little more encouragement to attend - they'll have you wanting more fibre in your diet....
I am linking up with Linky Tuesday at Freemotion by the River. Check it out for even more fibre in your diet today!!

Peace,
Linda

"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul." ~ Elder Uchtdorf

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda
Since I was busy working the Zonta Cafe, I do appreciate you sharing the church quilt shows. An Awesome array of color & harmony.
Thanks
Mary in Awesome Amherst!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda
Thanks for sharing the beautiful quilts from the church expos. As you know I was busy working the Zonta Cafe so I do appreciate your thoughtfulness. Thanks again. Also enjoy the book reviews.
Until next time.
Mary in Awesome Amherst

Linda H said...

Hi Mary in Awesome Amherst!
Glad you enjoyed the photos- it's not the best set-up for photography, but they are better than nothing. Did you get to see the Shows on Friday after "work"? So glad you spoke to me at the Bazaar, it was great to chat with you. I hope you are resting now with feet up - you must be tired after such an exciting week! Thanks to all for making it such an awesome experience!
Cheers
Linda

Jeanna said...

Wow Linda! Beautiful churches and amazing quits. I've never seen many of those patterns.

Some much eye candy...I think I would still be there.

You give such a great description and the photos are wonderful. Thank you for sharing!

Pamela Gordon said...

I'm glad you had a good trip to Amherst Linda. I thought we were behind you on the road Friday morning but it wasn't you when I passed. :) The quilts are gorgeous and a church's sanctuary seems to be a perfect place to display them all so beautifully.

Denise at Forest Manor said...

Hi Linda,

These quilts are just AMAZING!!! Wow! I've never seen such a large variety and all are beautiful! I own three handmade quilts, all given to me by family members; they are a treasure.

I wanted to say "Thanks" for following my blog, and I'm following you back. :) I look forward to reading about your life in Canada. I hope you have a great week!

Hugs,

Denise

Country Gal said...

Oh WOW ! Lovely hand made quilts and photos of them and post . Thanks for sharing ! It is cold here today wind chills of -4 . Have a good week !

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

"The desire to create..." I like that quote! And what beautiful works of art. I always marvel at the talent right in our own neighborhoods. Amazing! I wouldn't be able to choose a favorite! Sweet hugs!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What beautiful quilts! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...