STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Saturday, September 21, 2013

KV Quilt Show - Log Cabin Revisited

The annual Kennebecasis Valley Guild's September quilt show is a fixture in this province, with a reputation of being a high quality show. These gals deserve a lot of credit for being so dedicated- a show every year is a big undertaking! And this is no small show! Each and every year they have a wonderful display of many quilts large and small, some of which are for sale, a display of Challenges, samples from guild classes/workshops, a beautiful raffle quilt, a Quilter's Walk (fundraiser), small items for sale (everything from placemats, Christmas items and small wallhangings to home knit socks and jewellry) and a vendor's market. What more could a girl want?
Here are some photos from this year's show which has a Log Cabin theme. First of all, some winners.


Best in Show (Lorna Peacock Memorial Award) and the Canadian Quilter's Association Rosette went to Sue McEachern for Darling Dresdens. Sue does beautiful work and exceptional hand quilting, and it's no surprise that she is a frequent ribbon winner. I was so pleased to see her win Best in Show....









The Best Machine Quilting ribbon comes to Fredericton  - Yay!! Superstitious - Not Me by Sheila Cameron was machine quilted by my friend and fellow FQG member Sandi MacMillan who is presently out of the country. She was thrilled to hear that Sheila's quilt had won.

I'll apologize right now for the photos- it is often impossible to get a good shot of a quilt, straight on and without someone's arm or leg or left ear in the photo. I assure you all these quilts were straight and square, even if my photos make them look otherwise. At this show, it is often very difficult to get far enough back to even get the entire quilt in your frame...





Best Hand Appliqué, won by Dodie Brooke, for Blue Hawaii. She used a complete  250 yd. spool of thread to quilt the background.



















Best Pieced quilt was Leah's Quilt by Clara Young. Look at all those stars! Wow!


















Diamond Star Log Cabin by Cherry Tocantins won for the best interpretation of the Log Cabin theme. It was an absolutely beautiful quilt- this photo does not really do it justice. This quilt also won Viewer's Choice! Well deserved!











Gail Fearon, who blogs at Love to Quilt, won both 1st and 2nd place ribbons in the Large Traditional category. Way to go Gail!! Like Sue McEachern, she is another exceptional hand quilter and gifted appliqué-er (is that even a word?) It was not surprising to me to see ribbons on her quilts.








In first place was Baltimore Bouquet, and second place went to Starburst. I had seen both these quilts before but it sure was nice to be able to have a second look! Visit Gail's blog here for her photos of the show.




















Third place in Large Traditional went to Butterfly Garden by Eileen Warren, another FQG member! Yay! Eileen's quilting stitches are so very even - beautiful. Congrats Eileen!














Rainbow Log Cabin by Jill Lloyd won 1st place in the Small Traditional category. The bright colors used in the spinning "stars" were very eye-catching, as was her wonderful machine quilting. What a lot of time went into all those little "pebbles"...
















Smokey by Diane Haggerty won 2nd in this Small Traditional category. A lovely rendition of her grey cat Smokey, she made this as a gift for her husband.















And third place went to... me!! I was very surprised (and excited) to learn that I had won a ribbon. I was in fine company (and stiff competition) so I feel very honored to have a ribbon from this fine show. I never expected a ribbon on Pumpkin Play. I also entered my red Talkin' Turkey, and if there was any chance at all for a ribbon, I thought it might be on that quilt!  I guess my first efforts at hand appliqué and the use of that dreadful  color orange weren't so bad after all! ha! Looks like I was so excited to see this ribbon that I didn't focus well.. slightly blurry..sorry!









One quilt that really caught my eye was Fog Bound by the Tidal Threads Quilt and Needlework Guild of Grand Manan Island. I am very sure that Mary Brown of FQG had a hand in this quilt as Mary now lives back on Grand Manan and was active in getting the guild going there. (Grand Manan is a small island in the Bay of Fundy, and is accessible only by ferry.)This is a fundraiser quilt for the Swallowtail Keepers Society, to help with the refurbishment of the iconic Swallowtail Light lighthouse there. The soft greys, blues and creams used represent the fog which is common when one lives on an island, and the boats and whales that ply the Bay are shown in the border. This quilt won 2nd place in the Group Hand Quilted category.







Another that I really liked was Pineapple Nine Patch by Ella Hopper (quilted by Jill Lloyd), which won 3rd place in the Group Machine Quilted section. Of course you know I was attracted to all those beautiful blue batiks!! This quilt would look SO lovely on my bed.... hint hint


Well folks, that's all for tonight...

To Be Continued.....


8 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

Congratulations on your 3rd place ribbon, Linda! That's wonderful. My, but there are some really gorgeous quilts in your photos! I love the 3 dimentional ones. Exquisite work and beautiful colours.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Gorgeous Quilts ... so much work but such beauty.

Jeanna said...

Congratulations on your ribbon for Pumpkin Play. I can see why it is a winner!

Some really amazing quilts at the show...thanks for sharing :)

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

The quilts are all gorgeous. I really like the one with the cats and Blue Hawaii, talented women to make such creations.
Our county quilt guild is quite active with shows and demonstrations too. I wish I had learned to quilt.
Judith

Dolores said...

Great quilts. I love quilt shows. Congratulations on your ribbon.

Sandi Mac said...

Thanks for the photos Linda. It gives me a little peek of the show. I love "Fog Bound" - the colours are perfect. You say you don't like orange, but take a look around you and watch the amazing oranges of the east coast scenery over the next few weeks. Mother Nature is a master with the colour wheel. And your little quilt captures some of that richness.

GailM. said...

Congratulations on your ribbon!! So nice. I'm glad you posted the pictures and I can't wait to see more. I didn't get to the show.

Sheila said...

Congratulations on receiving a ribbon and thanks for sharing this lovely quilt show !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...