STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Close Encounters....

It's been a wet weekend! We've experienced the rains of Tropical Storm Andrea, and rain she did! Everything got a very good watering yesterday and today when I walked around the property, you could almost hear the moisture being soaked up. Everything is so lush and green right now...
The Lady's Mantle and hostas were holding water drops like glittering diamonds scattered on a pillow.. alas there was no sun today - hence no glitter! I'll save those photos for another day... I wandered around the yard this afternoon with camera in hand, looking for opportunities to
make some good photos. There isn't too much in bloom right now, although there will be within the week. So today I concentrated on the Bleeding Heart (Dicentra) which is pretty much finished. While I was getting up close and personal with various graceful stems, and with my telephoto lens on, I heard a whirrrrr. I knew it was a hummingbird at very close range. I didn't move, except to drop the camera from my eye. Sure enough a beautiful male ruby-throated hummer was about 2.5 feet from me. I sat frozen, slowly bringing my camera back to my eye but I was too close (with the long lens) to get his portrait. Darn!! Would he wait for me to move back?
No of course not, he was gone in a flash. But I felt I had just had a special moment, a close encounter, with one of God's beautiful creations...

 Not much more to say- just hope you enjoy my images... Have a wonderful week... Why not leave a comment and tell me where you're visiting from?

Peace,
Linda

"Each flower is a soul blossoming out to nature." ~ Gerard de Nerval


2 comments:

Wendy said...

Very pretty flowers, so delicate. Don't you just love those special moments in nature. You may not have captured that hummingbird on camera, but you still got to enjoy him.

Pamela Gordon said...

Absolutely gorgeous photos Linda. I was buzzed by more than one hummer the other night as Murray and I were putting up the new clothesline. The feeder was right beside us and the hummers were wanting at it. It's rather unnerving having them buzz so close. What a gorgeous day it is today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...