STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Good Advice...

Every once in a while, we need a little reminder of the important things in life... I received this in an email from a good friend and I thought I would share it with you...

A  92-year-old, petite, well-poised and proud man, who is fully dressed  each  morning  by eight o'clock, with his hair fashionably combed and shaved  perfectly,  even though he is legally blind, moved to a nursing home today.   His wife of 70 years recently passed away, making the move necessary.  After  many  hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the nursing home, he smiled  sweetly when told his room was ready.   As  he manoeuvred his walker to the elevator, I provided a  visual  description  of his tiny room, including the eyelet sheets that had been hung on his  window.  "I love it," he stated with the enthusiasm of an eight-year-old  having  just  been presented with a new puppy.   "Mr.  Jones, you haven't seen the room; just wait."   "That  doesn't have anything to do with it," he replied.   "Happiness  is something you decide on ahead of time.   Whether  I like my room or not doesn't depend on how the furniture is  arranged ... it's how I arrange my mind. I already decided to love it.     It's a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a  choice; I  can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with  the  parts of my body that no longer work, or get out of bed and be thankful  for the ones that do.   Each  day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open, I'll focus on the  new  day  and  all the happy memories I've stored away.. Just for this time in my  life.   Old  age is like a bank account. You withdraw from what you've  put  in.  So,  my advice to you would be to deposit a lot of happiness in  the  bank  account of memories! Thank  you for your part in filling my Memory Bank. I am still depositing.  Remember the five simple rules to be happy:
1. Free your heart from hatred.
2. Free your mind from worries.    
3. Live simply.    
4. Give more.    
5. Expect less."

What great advice. I've used the quote below before, but I think it's worth repeating. Today's photos are of my daffodil bouquet, purchased from the Canadian Cancer Society. I hope you supported them last week, with this annual fundraiser, leading up to April which is Cancer month. Please give generously when a canvasser comes to your door.

 I hope these cheery yellow blooms brighten your day!





Peace,
Linda

Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it.

4 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

What a sweet story Linda. I have been enjoying my daffodils very much.

Jackie said...

Love this post!

Shelley said...

Wow Linda, that's just about the most awesome post I've ever read :) I hope to get to blog this weekend and I'll be sending my followers to read this. Have a Blessed Easter :)

Anne said...

I agree whole heartedly!! Happy Day!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...