Well here it is in all it's glory! lol I have been trying to come up with an artistically beautiful setting to photograph this finished top. However.. when I am dealing with a red quilt, which I do not, under ANY circumstances want to get wet, and it's winter.. with lots of snow on the ground, well that limits or eliminates many choices. I've been keeping my eye peeled for an attractive old fence, but I think I'll have to keep that option for when it's quilted and finished, and it's a dry day. If you have ever worked with red cottons, you know that even if they've been pre-washed, that is still no guarantee that they might not run or bleed.
Just last week my buddy Sue called me for some Synthrapol. She has a small red and white quilt which she uses as a runner that she had set a vase of fresh flowers on. She must have spilled a bit of water while topping up the vase, and after it sat un-noticed for a while, the red fabric bled into the white. Even though this is not a new runner and all the reds had been washed before she sewed with them.. well it obviously still can happen. So I'm not taking any chances with getting this quilt wet. (If you don't know about Synthrapol, it is a product used by those who dye their own fabric, and also by quilters.. it will lift out excess dye, or color that has run or bled. Every quilter should have a bottle of this stuff on hand... seriously.)
My plan had been to hang it on the clothesline (I know, I know, not very original, or pretty)... but it would have drug in the snow. So for lack of anything better, here it is laying on our deck. At least now you can see it in its entirety. Of course when photographing anything outdoors, there's always a challenge. Today it was the (very slight) breeze. Every time just as I was to click the shutter, here's what happened... lol
Finished size is 70" by 85".
The next decision is the quilting. I would love for it to be hand-quilted, but there are SO many seams and junction points, I think it would be a nightmare. Suggestions welcomed....
I thought I would have a new (small) project to show you today. I took a Guild workshop yesterday and came home with a finished project. But I was not happy with one portion of it, so last night I tore it all apart and will re-do that one section. I figured out one small improvement and although I'll have to re-assemble it slightly differently, in my mind it will work. We'll see... Hopefully it will be done tomorrow. Stay tuned...
"I would rather die of passion than of boredom." ~ Vincent van Gogh