STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Day Has Come...

Today's date has been circled on our calendar for quite some time now for two "events". Firstly it is Brad and Emily's wedding day and I have been trying to grow copious amounts of flowers for bouquets. Well... they did grow, but I failed a little on the "copious amounts" aspect....
Secondly Mark has been looking forward to today.. He finished work yesterday and left at noon with two of his best buds for 6 days in Vegas! Oh to be young and carefree and think you have money!
The Three Amigos - Drew, Luke and Mark
How that boy loves to give his mother grey hair.... I just hope they come home safe. No blog this time, but I'm sure he'll come home with lots of interesting stories.. Of course, I may not hear many of them.. you know what they say- what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!

Back to the flowers... we knew it was a "gamble".. we planted 125 Gladiola bulbs and two rows of Cosmos seeds, in hopes that they would burst into full bloom right at the correct time (THIS week). However it has been a very hot dry summer and we all know that you cannot control Mother Nature. She
has her own ideas, obviously. And I guess she decided not to co-operate fully. Yes we did get some blooms but not the number I was hoping for... Despite my best efforts with lots of watering, it's just not the same as rainfall. I cut 13 gladiola spikes this morning and only got a small handful of Cosmos. However it looks like there'll be LOTS of blooms NEXT week...  Go figure!
So, I called on several of my friends with gardens and armed with clippers last evening, I went "collecting". (Many thanks, Barb and Sue!!) Everyone's gardens are coming to an end at this time of the summer, especially after so little rain, but I think I did well. Here is my "haul" in buckets, ready to make the one hour trip to the wedding site. The FOG (that's Father OGroom) picked them up this a.m. and I'm sure by now they are combined with those from other gardens and all beautifully arranged and in place, waiting for the ceremony to begin. You can be sure I'll be taking lots of photos. It's a beautiful day - picture perfect in fact. Sunny, but with a bit of a breeze. The perfect combination. Just like Brad and Emily.



Peace and Love,
Linda

For the Bride and Groom - May all the love two hearts can hold be yours through a wonderful life together.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Linda,
If you are interested in seeing another small living history museum, there are several in Rhode Island. My favorite is Coggeshall Farm Museum in Bristol, RI. It's a 1790's coastal farm museum set on the edge of a tidal marsh/mill gut. We have farm animals that were common to the period, area and breeds. Our costumed interpreters use period methods, materials and tools to farm, cook and produce food and products for use at the farm and for sale in the museum shop. I have the joy of getting to do textile work from scratch, including making some of the costumes our interpreters wear. I especially love doing this work on site, among my wooly buddies. The sheep are very comfortable with me because I've known most of them since they were born, that and I purchase my fleeces from the farm and rub some of it on my arms and clothing before I go out to see them. We have a loom in the house which is often warped and weaving is being taught to our interns, as well as, hand-sewing and hearth cooking. I'm hoping to be able to get a whole cloth quilt (what was common in the 18th century) set up on the slate frame soon, so that we can have a quilt on the bed as well as the beautiful blankets that Justin, our Director of Historic Interpretation, wove on our loom.
I think you would really enjoy it there. Bristol is a beautiful harbour town with a lot to see within a very short distance. We are about 15 miles from both Newport (the original capital) and Providence (the current capital). There is an awful lot of history in our small state, but we have many of the "firsts" in this country, due to our state's origins in true religious freedom and rich textile history.
I hope you will come see us sometime. If you come for the Fourth of July you'll see the oldest continuously running 4th of July parade. The better part of the month preceding the 4th is one big celebration leading up to the parade. We have outdoor, public music performed by the harbour, also contests and fireworks and a carnival on the Town Common.

I love your gardens,
Yvonne Virgadamo

Unknown said...

I love that this is such a small world and the internet makes it even closer. I love many of the same things that you do, and my Dad lives in Salem, ME. Textiles, of all kinds, are my first love, closely followed by cats and sheep. I love gardening of all kinds, but am limited to indoors right now because I'm renting and the landlord likes to do his own gardening. I love history, especially when it's presented as living history. I've been a reenactor since I was 14, it's what got me through high school. I didn't have many friends in school, but I had many amongst the reenacting seen. I'm soon to be 49, and it looks to be a good year.

Keep stitching,
Yvonne

Linda H said...

Thanks for your comments Yvonne. So much info!! I'll have to add Bristol to my list of places to visit! Thanks! The Farm Museum sounds very interesting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...