STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Who'd have thought...?

 Who would think that your whole day could be messed up by the lack of a little screw? Now get your mind out of the gutter, I'm not talking dirty here... I'm talking about a tiny sewing machine screw that went missing... Yesterday I was all set to spend the day sewing. I am in the process of making several Catch of the Day bags for our national conference,
Quilt Canada 2012, to be held in Halifax in two short months. I was really looking forward to sitting down at my machine and doing some relatively mindless sewing. It had been too long. A week in fact - the last time I used my machine was at a class I taught last week. All was fine then...
 When I pulled out my bobbin case to change bobbins, the clip fell off the outside. As I examined it, I could see that the tiny screw which holds this little metal "flap" in place, was missing. Hmmm.... where could it have gone to? Everything worked fine last week...? It was nowhere to be seen- not sitting there in front of my machine, not in the shuttle race area, not on the floor. I searched for a good 20 minutes. I searched my machine travel case, the case all my machine feet are in, the "box" I carry all my "little stuff" in when I teach.... Totally gone. Darn! (Okay, I did say something a little stronger than that....) This little teeny tiny itsy bitsy screw would not be more than 3.5mm. across and hardly as long. We're talking small here folks... But it is very important! It is what holds the "clip" which puts tension on the bobbin thread. So you just can't sew without it! Simple as that! I don't have a second bobbin case... nor do I have a second teeny tiny itsy bitsy little screw....Hmmmm... what to do.... The closest Bernina dealer is an hour away. I did NOT want to spend several hours in the car, driving upriver... (Although that was my "plan B")
I do keep on hand some very tiny screws for sunglasses, complete with a miniscule screwdriver. But of course, not quite the right size/shape. Then I remembered there is a "new guy in town" now who can service and repair all makes of sewing machine. So I called Diane B as he picks up and drops off at her shop. She would try and reach him to see if he could help me. So I jumped in the car, took my bobbin case and detached clip (and machine manual) down to her to leave it for him... Bless his little heart, he found a screw that fit and I now have it back, less than 24 hours later. Pretty quick service! Thanks Diane, and Thanks "My new Go To Guy"!!!
 Now I won't tell you what that new little teeny tiny screw cost me.. it might put some of my readers into cardiac arrest! It was pricey. But I guess when you have a very specialized little part, you have to pay for it. (I'm not complaining, I'm glad to have it replaced so quickly.) I heard a similar story from a friend and fellow Bernina owner/Guild member who lost the screw in her needle clamp. Also a specialized and pricey little devil to replace. So here's my advice if you have a similar tiny screw that does an important job. Check it now and then to make sure it is not coming loose. You DON'T  want to lose it. You may not be able to replace it as quickly and easily as I did. And I will consider having a spare one on hand.. for the  future ...
 Now, back to my salmon... uhhh, that's the fabric salmon, not supper...

Peace,
Linda

May your bobbin always be full.

7 comments:

Karen said...

You know...in your picture, the bobbin case looks gold so of course that screw was pricey. Who would expect anything less on a Bernina? :)
Good post, Linda; that's such an ordinary but vital piece and a good spare to have on hand. I'd never have thought of this but will look into getting a spare. Thanks.

GailM. said...

Always good to have a spare... good lesson. So what did it cost!! I am curious!!!

Ranjana's craft blog said...

I agree, the quality sewing completely depends on the small screw. Sometimes I go crazy by adjusting the tension.
Good post!

Linda H said...

The screw cost $12.00 Gail. Seemed a lot for such a tiny piece of metal, BUT a specialized little thing and you need it, so... I was happy to pay it...

Linda H said...

Update - Looking back now, and having bought several extra screws to have "on hand just in case", I think a good part of that $12. charge was for his time driving to and from Fredericton, as he lives out of town. When I purchased two extra screws from a Bernina dealer, they were only a couple of dollars each.

Unknown said...

is there a pattern for the Tall Santa?

Linda H said...

Karen, I have no way of contacting you as I am not on Google Plus so I cannot access an email address for you.... If you email me (my address is on my sidebar)or leave another comment with your email address, I can tell you about the pattern. I hope you see this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...