STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Here Fishie Fishie...

Each year for "Quilt Canada", the Canadian Quilters' Association (CQA) conference, the association requests donations from Guilds across Canada. Delegates attending receive a "goodie bag" with all sorts of donated items, some from sponsoring companies and other things from Guilds and individuals. Last year's conference was in London Ontario, which is known as the Forest City. The requested item was Leaf Bowls which you can see here. Many Guilds across Canada had fun doing these bowls and they received more than they actually needed (a wonderful "problem" to have!) This year's request was for a drawstring bag which would be useful for carrying small items to a class, shoes, or any number of possibilities. Because this years' conference is in Halifax, things have a "Maritime" theme. Karen Miller, a Nova Scotia quilter, designed this bag and all Guilds received the pattern, applique template and instructions. There are three choices for the applique: a salmon, haddock or cod. (Those who know me well would know I chose the salmon...☺)   I have finished one bag and have several more underway but thought I would show you #1 today. They are fun, and relatively quick and easy. One can be creative and embellish the

bag or fish as desired. I added a little sparkle by using an Opalescent Sulky thread along with the cotton burgundy thread when I added the "veining" to the fins and tail. When I went to buy something for the cording, all I could find in a burgundy color was fairly thin, so I braided it with two doubled lengths of perle cotton and added a few beads on the ends. (It didn't make it look much thicker but at least made it a little more interesting.)  I will be sending off our Guild's "shipment" in another week or so. Have you made any Catch of the Day bags for Quilt Canada 2012? You can find the pattern and directions here.

Peace,
Linda

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do. And by the grace of God, I will. " ~ Edward Everett Hale

3 comments:

GailM. said...

So nice. I have a bag cut out but not sewn yet. I'm not sure I'll have time before I head out again. When are you sending them off to NS.

Sandra said...

They only take a few minutes. Such a cute idea.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Your salmon bag looks great Linda. I like buttons as air bubbles :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...