STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Monday, November 28, 2011

Does "Bonbon" mean Good Good??

I tried a new-to-me recipe today and trust me, it's a keeper! If you like shortbreads, you'll have to try these.  I have been using the same recipe for shortbreads for years but no more. It's just been replaced! This came to me from a quilter friend in Sussex. These little delights were served with the tea and cookies at their last Guild Quilt Show so I asked Vera Turner if she could track down the recipe for me, and she did! It comes from one of their members- I only know her first name is Sheila.... So THANK YOU Sheila!!
These little morsels truly melt in your mouth. I love Shortbreads and love comparing recipes- it's interesting how they vary with the ratio of flour to cornstarch to icing sugar. I think this one has hit on the perfect "formula", 'cause they sure are delicious. I love lemon too, so I really like the lemon icing. Of course you could just do a butter cream icing, or flavour it with almond or whatever your preference. They'd be good with no icing at all as well... These are called Lemon Bonbons. Since "bon" in French means "good" in English- would you translate these as Goodgoods? I think delicious would be a better choice...

Lemon Bonbons

1 cup softened butter
1/3 cup icing sugar
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/4  cups flour

Cream butter and icing sugar. Sift together cornstarch and flour, add  to butter mixture and mix well. (Refrigerate the dough at this point, if it makes it easier to handle.) Roll into 1" balls, flatten slightly and place on baking sheet. Bake at 325F for 15 minutes. (The recipe I was given, called for 15 min. at 350F. I reduced the temp. to 325 and reduced the time a minute or two as well.) Cool and frost.

**The original recipe also called for 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans spread on a piece of waxed paper.. Dip dough balls into the nuts, then flatten slightly and place on baking sheet nut side up. I did not use nuts this time as I was taking these to a meeting tonight and did not know if someone might have a nut allergy.

Lemon Icing
1 cup sifted icing sugar
1 Tblsp. softened butter
enough lemon juice to make icing spreadable (I really like lemon so I added a bit of finely grated lemon zest as well)

Mix together and swirl or pipe on top of cookies.

Peace,
Linda

Be naughty - Save Santa a trip!

7 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

oooooo.

My grandson who is cutting weight for wrestling thanks you ~lol~

GailM. said...

Nice. I think I got this recipe from my neighbour. I remember savoring how they melted in your mouth. I'll have to give these a try.

Wendy said...

This just a little different than my recipe, so I am going to give them a try. The lemon was what sold me, I think that anything with lemon is a winner. Actually they are in the oven right now, so I will let you know how well they are received. Thanks for sharing!

Janet said...

I love shortbread. I'll have to give this a try.

DonnaC said...

Thank you, Sheila, Vera and Linda: Wendy made them for our annual Christmas dinner tonight and they are truly "Bonbons", which is actually french for candy...must be the way they melt in your mouth. Yum.I wll try them; shortbreads are something I have never been able to master.Wish me luck!

Wendy said...

Donna's right Linda. They were well received and I steered everyone here for the recipe.

Karen said...

These are lovely looking cookies, and thanks for sharing the recipe. It's always nice to have something a little different each year, and especially nice to know the recipe works. Shortbread are always a big favourite in this house!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...