STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Backyard Visitors

It seems we have a new family in the neighbourhood.... a family of woodpeckers. It's not unusual for me to see a woodpecker on the apple trees in my backyard, but today as I went out onto the deck to hang out yet another load of laundry, there were three on the same tree. That's a first... I think at least two of them were juveniles as they were smaller and the feathers on their breasts still looked somewhat "downy" - like immature feathers..? So I quickly came back in, grabbed my camera and quietly stepped back out the door. By then they all had separated.. would they come back together for a "family portrait"? Of course not. The larger one (Mama perhaps?) flew to a tree further away, the shy one had headed up higher in the tree and was pretty much hidden by foliage, and I was left with just one - the keener. He had listened well to his Mama's lessons - he was pecking away at a furious pace - remember Woody Woodpecker, and how the chips of wood flew? Well this little guy was almost the same; I guess our trees must be full of juicy little insects. Of the dozen or so pics I snapped quickly, many were out of  focus. His little head never stopped... They must have migraines by the end of day...
As I look at my perennial beds, I can see that summer is drawing to a close. I feel ripped off - in some ways it seems we haven't had much summer at all. Some plants have done well- those that like lots of rain. Many others have not fluorished. My purple coneflower is doing well right now, and is attracting lots of  bees...
How are your gardens this summer?
I recently finished a great read- the first I have read by Kate Morton. I thoroughly enjoyed The House at Riverton, and am looking forward to The Forgotten Garden, also by Morton- it has been highly recommended to me by several friends... Right now I'm reading No Great Mischief  by Alistair MacLeod. What are you reading this summer?

Peace
Linda

"In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks." ~ John Muir

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...