STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Who's in the Neighbourhood?

I've been spending some time in my gardens in the last week. I finally got fed up with the cool wet weather and the very cool nights, and decided if I didn't get things in the ground, it would just be too late. So, my vegetable garden is now planted, a few new perennials are planted and most of my annuals are in place. My pots and planters are done and as of last night I've stopped babying them by bringing them into the garage at night. It's time for some warmer nights - this unseasonably cool weather has gone on long enough!!
I love being outside and hearing the birds. We have a lot of trees on our property so there are always a variety of bird "chirpings" going on - some which I can identify and many I cannot. And it's amazing how much you really "see" outdoors when you pay close attention. Here are a few photos of the "visitors" in my neighbourhood in the last few days. This swallowtail butterfly was really enjoying itself sipping the sweet nectar of the lilacs. It flitted from blossom to blossom, not the least bit shy about me taking it's photo....











The lupins are just coming into bloom; I think they have to be one of my most favourite wildflowers. It is so great to see them all along the highways and backroads and in fields at this time of year. And when you get up close - you can see who else is enjoying them too... When you look at lupins very closely you will notice that many of them have attracted aphids. I suspect this little fellow is having himself a nice aphid lunch....
















My rhododendron is now in full bloom, and it's popular with the bees, (in photo at right, can you see the little Bee bum? Click on the photo to enlarge it...) and today, who was visiting but the swallowtail butterfly.... not sure if it was the same one... but it sure was enjoying today's sunshine. After flitting around the rhodo, he flew up into the nearby maple tree, spread his wings and sunbathed for a while on a large green maple leaf. I guess he was enjoying today's sun and warmth as much as I was...
















Not all the visitors are welcome ones... you are witnessing the last few moments of this lily beetle's life. I happily helped him have a swift passage to "Lily Beetle Heaven" about 2 seconds after this shot was taken... if you find any of his friends or relatives in your garden, please destroy them as they quickly will decimate your lilies and other plants as well. And then they'll travel to my garden...

Who's in your neighborhood these days?

Peace
Linda

"A butterfly lights beside us and for a brief moment it's glory and beauty belong to our world, but then it flies on again and although we wish it could have stayed, we are so thankful to have seen it at all." ~ Unknown

2 comments:

Susan Elliott said...

I can see you are loving your garden this year! With all that coolness and rain...everything is amazingly GREEN. Look at those pics from your hike...Reminded me of the book Verdi!

Enjoy your weekend!

Cathy said...

Your flower pictures are wonderful. And how fun to see the hard-working little critters! I am jealous of your gorgeous lupines! Your photos look so professional! Hugs, Cathy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...