STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, September 26, 2010

I'm going Green


No I'm not talking about voting for the Green Party in the upcoming provincial election tomorrow. I've started a tablerunner for a friend and it's done with a number of greens... My friend Wendy, who I visited in Chilliwack last April has been in NB for the summer. She and her hubby are building a retirement home in the community where she grew up, about 45 minutes from here. Their beautiful home in BC has not sold so they will soon be returning there for the winter, putting the new home "on hold" for now.
When I visited her last spring, I promised her a couple of new tablerunners for her large dining table. Wendy is a cancer survivor; when she was having chemo treatments, she felt that she drew great strength from the view from her bed- many tall strong trees with the mountains behind. At their new place they also have many mature trees between them and the lake, and they will cut as few as possible. I knew that green and something that reminded her of her beloved trees was the order of the day. I was thrilled to find the design for this runner in a recent magazine. I've used Thangles to make the 72 half square triangles needed, and hope to be putting it all together tomorrow. Stay tuned...

Piece
Linda

"Because they are primeval, because they outlive us, because they are fixed, trees seem to emanate a sense of permanence. And though rooted in earth, they seem to touch the sky. For these reasons it is natural to feel we might learn wisdom from them..." ~ Kim Taplin

3 comments:

Laura Hubbard said...

The way you have them laid out there looks like a big evergreen tree!

GailM. said...

I'm on a table runner kick this year. I have so many that I need to set up another dining room. I really like those batik greens. I like these greens you have. Will you be adding another color.

Too bad Wendy's house hasn't sold yet.

Linda H said...

Laura, that layout was not intentional, but you're right! Gail the only other color is the background- a beige tone. I hope to have a pic later today with the top together, I got 1/4 of it done last night....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...