STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Come on, spring!!!

Spring is only one month away - isn't that a pleasant thought? Actually we have been very lucky this winter with many days of milder than normal temps... this past week it has been above freezing every day, and the snow is beginning to recede. Yeah!! Although our lawns are still covered, I see many areas around the city that are bare. My brother has some daffodils peeking through the ground... Bring it on, I say! I just couldn't resist posting a few pics from last spring- to give us all hope!! Don't these blooms make you feel good?

This week is Spring Break for my kiddos, and both are now home. The weeks seem to be flying by; it seems they just went back after Christmas and now they are home, with only 6 weeks of classes to go before final exams! Doesn't seem possible! I am restless and anxious for warm weather, wishing I too was enjoying southerly climes. So many friends are down south right now: Sandi, Willa, Carole, Dawn and Diane all in Florida, Gail and LaVerne in the Carolinas, Cathy in Mexico, Sue and Donna in Arizona, Gail in Hawaii, Marilyn off to Barbados, Judy just back from a Caribbean cruise and Susan soon packing her bags for a Hawaiian cruise.. I am envious for sure. But spring will soon be here, and I will have saved all those travel costs to spend on new plants for the garden..haha
I am busily working on a piece of Raised Embroidery, Elizabethan style, on cream colored silk. Tomorrow night is Embroiderers' Guild and I have hardly touched this piece since we began it at last month's meeting, so I'm trying to get a little more done before tomorrow night. If I make significant headway I'll show you a "progress photo" in a few days... it doesn't really look like much yet as I'm still working with just greens- leaves and stems... looking at these delicate little flowers, many stitched with one strand of floss, makes me even more anxious for spring... Guess I'll have to content myself with this piece of work, until I can get out and dig in the dirt...
Piece,
Linda
No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow.

3 comments:

GailM. said...

I didn't know you went to Embroidery Guild. That is good motivtion to get stuff done. Hang in there, spring will be here before you know it. When your hubby retires, you'll be able to make winter plans to help pass the winter.

I thought about this stage of our life for years and I can't believe we're actually doing what we said we'd do. And that is adopt a snowbird approach to the winters. It's not bad and with technology the way it is, it's easy to keep in touch with all those back home.

MissesStitches said...

Can't wait to see your raised embroidery! I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I am dreaming of spring as well. Can see some of the ground cover green in the treed section of our yard. Linda G

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...