STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Great dish for a cold day

As promised, here's the recipe for the dish I made for supper last night. It's a family favourite, especially for a cold winter day. I love it with homemade Brown Bread. It fills the house with such a lovely aroma, as you bake it for several hours in a slow oven. Thanks to my good friend Jane who gave me this recipe a few years back and we've been loving it ever since! I usually double it, and put some in the freezer for a quick easy supper when I'm lazy and don't feel like cooking... Yummmm....

Beans 'n' Stuff

1 lb. medium or lean ground beef
6-8 slices bacon
1 large can stewed tomatoes
1/3 cup vinegar
2 Tblsp. molasses
2 Tblsp. brown sugar
dash of worchestershire sauce
1 green pepper, chopped
2 or 3 stalks celery, chopped
1 med.-lg. onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can garbanzos (chick peas), drained
1 lg. can beans with pork and molasses
salt and pepper to taste

Chop bacon slices into small pieces, brown with the ground beef. Drain off all fat. Set aside. In a large bowl, crush any large pieces of tomato with potato masher. Add remaining ingds. and cooked meat, removing chunk of pork from the beans. (Amounts of veggies and garlic can be adjusted to suit your taste.) Stir well. Ladle into one or several large casserole dishes. Bake, covered, in slow oven (300 F) for 2.5 - 3 hours. I usually stir once or twice, and add a bit of water as needed. Enjoy!

Piece,
Linda

"The preparation of good food is merely another expression of art, one of the joys of civilized living." ~ D. Lucas

1 comment:

GailM. said...

I love comfort food on a cold day. Chili or stew, or roast beef. I like to cook anything that I have to use the stove or oven for. It helps keep me warm... Man, my feet have been freezing all day. I have a craving for brown bread. I wonder why!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...