STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The smells of Christmas...

I can't believe I have not posted since last Friday. The days are flying by; I have been so busy I don't know which way to turn...
Winter has arrived.. with a vengeance the last few days... it has been snowing for 24 hours now.. it's piling up! But oh is it pretty! I was out for a short walk this evening, doing yet another Christmas errand and it was so beautiful! Peaceful and quiet, large lazy flakes drifting down, little snowballs forming at the toe of my boots as I kicked the snow - it's the perfect snow tonight for making snowballs or snowmen.... I wish I had time to go out and play!

I have spent the last few days in the kitchen. Today for example, I have made the Christmas Pudding and accompanying Hard Sauce, 2 batches of Peanut Brittle, 2 pans of squares, one batch of Cheese Spread, not to mention meals. And I still have to do a layered salad. I am tired, to say the least....


But the house smells so good these days. I think one of my favourite "smells" of Christmas is the smell of shortbread baking. I do two different types of shortbread cookies - the usual kind, and the other we call "Cinnamon Sticks". It is just a shortbread dough that is rolled into small logs about the size of your little finger; when they come out of the oven, while hot they are rolled in a cinnamon sugar mixture. Yummmmm... Definitely a family favourite. Here's the recipe:

Cinnamon Sticks
2 cups flour
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
pinch of salt
1 cup soft butter
Sift together dry ingds. Mix into softened butter, blending well. Form into small logs, about the thickness and length of your little finger. Place on cookie sheet. Bake at 325F for about 20 minutes- until they just begin to lightly brown. While still hot, roll in a mixture of 1/2 cup white sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon. These keep well - if you can hide them!! Makes about 5 dozen.
I hope you are all ready for Christmas. Take time to enjoy it with your family and friends. Wishing you all the warmth and joy of the season. From my home to yours, best wishes.
Peace,
Linda
May the spirit of Christmas always shine in your heart and your home...

1 comment:

GailM. said...

I love the smells of Christmas. It seems that I've been cooking for a month. I baked chocolate chip cookies cause we're putting out cookies for Santa this evening.

I'm going to try the cinnamon sticks next week. They look so good... I like the shape. They are like ladyfingers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...