STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Summer is behind us...

Can you believe we turn the calendar tomorrow- yet another month gone by. Autumn is in the air, for sure... The trees are starting to turn, some are even dropping their leaves already. I have spent a little time in my garden the last few days.. I always feel sad to say "goodbye" as the blooms fade and falling leaves start to cover the earth. It's time to start cutting back some of my perennials. I thought I should share a few more photos with you, of summer blooms.

What is it about quilters and gardening? Have you noticed that many of your quilting friends are also gardeners? Is it the color that we love? In summer we have the bright colors of our gardens full of blooms, and when the gray days of winter set in and snow blankets the land, we can turn to our fabric stashes to give us our "color fix"... Or is it the design element? Some design their gardens as carefully as they design a quilt, paying very carefull attention to what blooms when, what plants to put together or side by side for complimentary colors and foliage... I'm afraid my gardens are more random. But I do wish I had more time and space to do a little more "designing".. maybe now that I have more open space next door......
There are so many different aspects of gardening that appeal to the quilter- color, texture, design, balance, shape... but it seems most of us are drawn to color. Even with this single element there are so many things to consider beyond just the color of the blooms - leaf color and variegation, color of berries and barks, the visual "weight" of colors - ie hot bright colors advance, soft cool colors recede, whites and pastels brighten up shady dark areas- so many principles that apply to quilting as well!

Just as quilters have their "likes" and preferences, so do gardeners.. Some quilters specialize in certain areas- hand applique or art quilts, landscapes or miniatures. Gardeners too have their "loves" - shade gardens filled with hostas, rose gardens, cutting gardens or water gardens. Isn't it wonderful that we live in areas where we have at our disposal, so many resources for our hobbies, be it quilting or gardening, or whatever. I feel truly blessed, and so fortunate to be able to pursue these wonderful pass-times - and to share them with you!
I hope you have enjoyed having a peek at my gardens occasionally.. not that we're done yet.. but the days are numbered. I am always sad to put the gardens "to bed" but I can't wait to be spending more time quilting and stitching. I'm itchin' to be stitchin'.....
Piece,
Linda
"Summer's lease hath all too short a date." ~ Shakespeare

2 comments:

GailM. said...

Nice photos Linda. youu have a really nice eye to catch the color and the light and dark. I really enjoy the little bit of gardening that I do. Although most of it is green.

Linda G said...

You are definately right about how blessed we are. You can certainly put me in the fabric and flower obsessed crowd. Thanks for the eye candy before the season totally dissapears and we are left dreaming of spring.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...