STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Friday, August 21, 2009

Dog Days of Summer....

Whew! We have just survived a week long blast of summer heat and humidity. For seven days in a row, we had temps in the 30's (that's in the 90's for those of you who are still on the Fahrenheit scale). The heat is bad enough but when you combine that with high humidity, well, let's just say it's hard to feel energetic for long.. Some days with the Humidex, the temp. felt like 40C or above....
Here is Ollie, illustrating how we all have been feeling... lazy!! Ollie seems to find my ironing board a comfy spot for a little cat nap.... Perhaps I should have titled this post "CAT Days of Summer" ???
I'm not complaining about the heat, especially after the June and July we had- dreary, overcast, rainy, etc . etc. I don't actually mind the heat too much, it's the humidity that's the killer! Thank goodness for heat pumps - we just have to set ours from "heat" to "cool" and in minutes, the house is nice and cool...
Today the heat has finally broken, and we are now preparing for a rainy weekend - Hurricane Bill is heading our way! Hopefully we are far enough from the coast that we won't feel the effects of the storm too much - probably just some rain.
I actually got to spend a little time with my sewing machine today- it sure felt good. I'm sure my machine was wondering who I was.. it's been way too long! I did a quick little "fun and funky" project - something for Laura's dorm room. I'll show you a pic tomorrow - I just have to finish hand-stitching the binding tonight.
Ollie! Stop that yawning!
Piece,
Linda
"Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia."
~ Joseph Wood Krutch

2 comments:

GailM. said...

I totally missed these pictures of Oliver. He looks so much like my cat. Could it just be that with the passing of time, that any grey cat looks like my kitty. Oliver is brave to be on your ironing board. Mine is always piled high with stuff. I agree, the weather was hot last week.

Marie Alton said...

Ohhhh Linda ... I'm so with you ... I detest humidity ... makes you feel so drained. Bring on the fall!

My two looked much like Oliver through it ... just no enery ...trying to find any cool breeze to blow on them.

It must be miserable to have such a lovely fur coat in summer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...