STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ahhhh summer!!

Well it seems that summer is finally here. It arrived officially several days ago, but today's humidity tells me it really IS here. We've had days and days of rain, and now when the sun comes out, you can almost see the waves of steamy moisture rising... Everything is green and lush, flowers are blooming, the mosquitoes are voracious, yes - it's summer!! Yeah! It's been a long time coming...
I am finally seeing an end to the "Gardening: to be done" jobs. After all this rain, I now have my bedding plants in the ground, my 50 Glad bulbs planted and the last few new perennials put in. It's amazing what a difference several days of rain makes; several plants have grown a good foot in the last week.
As you can see, my very orange poppies are blooming - I hate orange but these sure add a punch of bright color don't they! Also in bloom is the Jacob's Ladder (Polemonium), the Cranesbill (also known as perennial geranium), my Chives, and the Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla)is almost in full bloom. My hostas are growing like crazy, the largest one is past my waist height! People ask me every year what I fertilize them with, and I'm sure they don't believe me when I tell them "Nothing... I don't even water them, it's just what Mother Nature provides.." I guess they just like the spot they're in...
Another sign of summer for me is a stack of good books waiting to be read.. I just finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. What a great book- I highly recommend it if you like a "page-turner"... I could hardly put it down. It's set in the 30's in the USA - the story of a young man who joins a traveling circus. I won't tell you any more - other than to say it's a worthwhile read. I can't wait to get into my fifth Diana Gabaldon book, A Breath of Snow and Ashes. Also on my list are The Cellist of Sarajevo, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and possibly Pillars of the Earth. After so enjoying Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill, I'd like to read another by him too- has anyone read Any Known Blood? I'm always open to suggestions for good summer reading - feel free to pass on the titles of any books you've really enjoyed...



What are your "sure signs of summer"? Going for ice cream? A day at the beach? Summer trips? A morning or evening walk in the sun? Going to bed with the windows wide open, and waking to the sound of the birds?
We all have our favorite things about each season.... I just really enjoy HAVING each season - after living on the north end of Vancouver Island for a year, where it rains daily from mid September till mid June - I sure do appreciate the change of the seasons, and what each one brings...
Piece,
Linda

"Summer afternoon - summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language". ~ Henry James

3 comments:

GailM. said...

Wasn't it a nice day today. Actually we've spent two gorgeous weekends at the cottage so far. Last weekend wasn't sunny but I'm hoping we have some sun this weekend. I love summertime too. I don't mind the humidity very much. In the summer, I love getting up early, like 6am, and going for a nice walk or run across the train bridge. The water is usually quite still, the mist rising over the legislature. The only people out are other runners, a few rowers and a few people walking dogs.

Love all your flower pictures. I'm getting the itch to do some crazy quilting. Got anything planned for the summer.

Linda H said...

As you likely know, I am NOT an early morning person (except when I'm going on a trip - THEN I have no trouble getting up early! ha!) However, I would like to drag my butt out of bed to see that mist on the river...I can see me getting back into more photography, come Fall when both kids are gone... Running, NO. Photography yes...
Yes I HAVE to get back to some CQing. I think I'll piece a few small blocks for cards, that will get me going again..the stocking awaits...maybe you, Ann and I should get together?

Lee said...

I recommend The Historian which I read for my book club this year. Don't be put off by the boring looking cover or the fact that it is a mystery/drama centred around the character Vlad the Impaler/Dracula. It's about events in a family and how the overlap of different lives at different times affect the present generation. It was really well written and became a page-turner as you learn all the twists and turns. Another interesting one is Before I Wake which takes you places you don't expect and makes you think about moral questions as you share a family's experiences.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...