STITCH LINES...... Ramblings on life as a quilter, stitcher, traveler, photographer, gardener and lover of books, cats and fine chocolate....

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Catch of the Day...


It felt so good today to spend some time working in the garden. It was long overdue, and there's still much to be done, but at least I got a good start...

Unfortunately I made a little discovery that I wish I hadn't. Yes, those blasted little Lily Beetles are back. Here is what they look like "au naturel" - yup- he stood right there and posed for me- no doubt he was smiling at the camera too! I guess he's slightly out of focus, but you get the idea of what he looks like- see my "days' catch" below... These little critters are bad news for your garden. Left unchecked they will eventually decimate your lilies and then move on to munch on other flowers as well. So please, if you are a gardener, start keeping a close eye out for these critters, even if you have no lilies... and if you find them, have no mercy! I simply plop them into a dish of water with a few drops of dishsoap - I use Palmolive, but I don't think it matters. Each time I go out to the garden, I take a sour cream or yoghurt tub with soapy water along with me (works for slugs too). I check for them several times a day. They can burrow in the soil and also fly, so they seem to magically appear when they weren't there just a minute ago...
These litle guys are just slightly larger than a ladybug, longer where as a ladybug is rounder, and have bright orangey-red wing covers, with black head, antennae and undersides.
You can read more about them here. If all gardeners were diligent about controlling this pest, we would all benefit... Please do your bit!
Piece,
Linda
Garden: a thing of beauty and a job forever....

6 comments:

GailM. said...

Yuk...I hate destructive bugs, but I love ladybugs.

Karen said...

Oh my...Lilies are my absolute favourite, and I have many varieties of Oriental, True, and Daylilies in my garden...but have yet to see these visitors you have shown. I hope you keep them all in New Brunswick and don't let them cross the border...
Karen in NS

Linda H said...

I'll tell all the beetles I see not to go to NS! Believe me, you DON'T want them.. keep a close eye out - I'm afraid they will make their way.... Check frequently on all your plants. They like to hide on the underside of leaves too... You will spot them as their bright orangey-red really stands out... You can easily crush them between thumb and fingers, or plop them into soapy water - just DO kill them as they lay hundreds of eggs...

Linda G said...

We have them in our garden too. But they are not everywhere in Fredericton yet. We check every day and catch as many as we see before they can multiply.

Karen said...

Hi, Linda: Imagine my horror to find 7 of those nasty Lily Beetles in our Oriental Lilies just now :( They don't seem to be interested in the Daylilies or True Lilies, but are being a wholly terror (!) in the Orientals...which have been struggling the past couple of years as is. Really appreciate your alert, and will get the word out here too.
There's a sign at the entrance to NS from NB which always amuses me, as it says honeybee importation is prohibited. It makes me wonder if the bees are supposed to read the notice and turn back into N.B. Perhaps we need one there for these Lily Beetles too.
Karen

Linda H said...

Yes Karen, I always laugh at that sign, every time I pass by Amherst, envisioning the bees reading it and turning around...if only that WOULD work for these blasted beetles....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...